Spring over Axle Lift....? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spring over Axle Lift....?

hey folks...i have a 2000 Jimmy 4x4...i cranked the torsion bars all the way, (which i hear is bad for the CVs), and i wanted to know about doing a "spring over axle" lift to get the rear up to match the front now...

i want to stuff some 29x9.50x15 tires on it, with some offset rims...but if i will have to be replacing balljoints and CVs every year...maybe i should just let the front end back down and learn to deal with the fact that my Jimmy wont get lifted. (lift kits are WAY too expensive).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Spring over Axle Lift....?

Couple things:

SOAs are gonna give you somewhere in the ball park of 5" lift. a MAXED TB crank is gonna give you 1.5-2" lift. 29" tall tires will fit on stock rims at stock ride height, in fact you can stuff 30" worth of tire in there.

If you're that hungry for ground clearance, going up an inch on the bars isn't gonna hurt you too bad, but yes, TB cranks are hard on halfshafts (mainly the boots) and especially hard on Ball Joints. to match the rear, you can go with a set of lift shackles, or an add-a-leaf to get the altitude. Your other option is to leave the suspension as is, get a body lift (they can be found for under $200 Canadian) and clear 31" tires. GenII b/l's max at 2" for some reason, while GenI b/ls max at 3". Smart money is to start off with the b/l, get some tires, and the start saving like the devil to get either a Trailmaster lift, or ape it and do an SFA conversion.

Oh, and if your Heep and Toylet driving 'wheeling buddies keep telling you that you can't 'wheel an s10, laugh at them. laugh in their face. You can 'wheel circles around anything in a stock s10 (I do it all the time in my Blazer) if you know how it handles, and finesse it.

S10Extremist.org is a great place for all this information. They've got around 470 members, most of whom have attemted every trick in the book on S-series trucks & Utilitys.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are the man....

thanks a lot for your info!! the reason the GenII can only go 2" is because of the wiring harness. (= there, now i made you smarter back. hahah

im going to check out that site now....and you know what....im seriously considering the SFA at this point....with the SOA in the rear...that will set me up real good wouldnt it?

im planning on doing the SOA tomorrow...i will post pics from my digital camera online at my website.

Thanks again!!!! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: You are the man....

Ah, you learn very well, grasshopper.... :ZenMonk

I knew about the wiring harness thing already. Was testing you. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 12:56 PM

Re: Spring over Axle Lift....?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Oh, and if your Heep and Toylet driving 'wheeling buddies keep telling you that you can't 'wheel an s10, laugh at them. laugh in their face. You can 'wheel circles around anything in a stock s10 (I do it all the time in my Blazer) if you know how it handles, and finesse it.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

Couldn't have said it better myself.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Heep and Toylet...

HAHAHAAH, at first when i read "Heep and Toylet", i was like...whaa??? i didnt get it....but now that i see you are making fun of Jeeps and Tyoters, it is hilareious. (= i had an 88 S10 4x4 Extended cab back in high school, and one of our buddies had just bought a brand new Cherokee Sport (1997 or so)...and ours were both pretty much stock, he had the 4.0 auto, i had the 2.8 stick with the TB's CRANKED...we would always see who could go in the bigger snow banks and mud holes and make it out...then try to follow each others path....i must have pulled him out 5 times that year....he never pulled me out once....he was the type of guy that probably wouldnt pull out my old S-tenner with his brand new Heep. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

would i be boo'd at and spit on if i said that i wouldnt mind taking an old YJ as a project and lifting the hell out of it?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Heep and Toylet...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
would i be boo'd at and spit on if i said that i wouldnt mind taking an old YJ as a project and lifting the hell out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by me, I allways wanted one, but could never afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode