brake problems with 3" spindle lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 10:56 PM
schibby

brake problems with 3\" spindle lift

I put a 3" spindle lift on my 98 Sonoma 2wd. I also put on extended stainless braided brake lines and bled them, they are long enough and I am sure there is no air in them. The brakes work fine when i am going straight or turning slightly but when i turn the wheel as far as it will go, the brake pedal pretty much goes limp and the brakes are nearly useless. The stop on the back part of the lower A-arm does come in slight contact with the brake caliper when turned all the way. I am going to remove the stop on the lower A-arm and put something else on that will be in contact with part of the spindle assembly but I am wondering if that will fix my problem of losing brake power or is there something else that I am missing.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 07:51 AM

Re: brake problems with 3\" spindle lift

That's odd.

Do you get an ABS light coming on at all?

You might have to try and bleed them again.

Sometimes when I experience brake fade, even with 4-wheel disc, it's because I'm in something like 5th gear, and the brakes seem useless. Once I kick it down a gear and get my RPM's up it seems to work better. Can you feel that with your truck?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 09:19 AM
schibby

I dont get an ABS light coming on but the red parking brake light does come on. it only happens when i am going slow since it is when i am turning the steering wheel all the way over. I am thinking the stop on the A-arm inhibits the caliper on one side from moving but I am not sure if that would make everything go out. The brakes are normal again after I turn the wheels straight again and pump it once or so. I am pretty stumped on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 10:57 PM
Addict

i think the problem is that when you turn you are compressing your caliper .... try this ..... while stopped turn all the way to one side and move the truck a foot or so then apply the brake .. nothing right? ok now while the truck is sitting still and the wheels are still turned let go of the steering wheel and start pumping the brake .... my bet is the steering wheel will move just a little and the brake pedal will pump up and feel right ... if so then i am right and if not well um uhh ...........
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 02:18 PM
schibby

looks like its just the caliper getting compressed by the A-arm stop. I turned the wheel all the way and pumped the brake and the wheel moved when I pumped. I was going to fix that anyways so hopefully that is all the problem is. Thanks for the help.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was also thinking that maybe it was the power steering pump robbing the engine of power, therefore not giving enough to the brake booster to work properly...when you have it cranked all the way, can you hear the P/S pump? and the engine idle drop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode