Off Roading Forums banner

Additives For Tires To Keep Mud Off

928 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  wrath 
G
#1 ·
I am going to be doing a lot of mud bogging with my truck and I was talking to someone who races on dirt tracks and they mentioned something about putting tranny fluid on your tires to keep the mud off.... I got into thinking about this (because it sounded like a neat idea,) I have heard that tranny fluid can damage rubber (which makes me wonder if it is harmful on a tire.) Is this true or can you actually put it on your tire? And what else have you heard of that you can use or what do you use? I can't seem to find any info on the internet about this issue...

G
#5 ·
I saw an episode of "Trucks!" one day and the guy used Baby Oil in a squirt bottle. So I tried it and it seemed to help, but for the hassle it was to get it on and spread around, it wasn't worth it.

#6 ·
Gotta remember that someone who races probably cares little about tire life. He probably expects to need to change tires a lot sooner than most.

And what about bragging rights when you hit mud!? I love watching people check out the truck when they see all the mud on it. Especially in well-to-do neighborhoods! It's a badge of honor.

Tranny fluid is a corrosive material. So if you don't mind having a short life on the tire I guess it's worth a try. I don't know if it actually helps when you are running (as in makes your time or distance better).

G
#8 ·
I have decided to go with a 'no stick spray.' I am not worried so much about the mud sticking to the body, I am looking at a way to keep the tread clean of debri when bogging, tire spin will help but I need something that will aid in cleaning. I just basically soak the whole tire in it then, or will that cause a loss in traction?

#9 ·
mud bogging isn't about "traction" is't about reaction ..... a soft compound slick has more traction than any mud tire but is worthless in mud .... it newtons law about reaction that gets us through the mud it's the weight of the mud we through backwards and the force requires to rip it from the ground that moves one through a mud bog .... you could coat your tires with petroleum jelly and it would not slow you in the mud ..... also i'm betting that no one short of nasa could measure any gains if any from a no stick coating on a mud tire but that is just a guess let me know if you prove me wrong

G
#10 ·

Im with him on this. I thought the whole non-stick tire rub on junk was kinda usless. The only time I've ever heard of ppl putting stuff on their tires to keep mud off, is putting armoral or what ever on their sidewalls to make the tires look pretty and shiney.

If you dont want mud on your tires STAY ON THE STREET!

#11 ·
ATF is a poor-man's brake fluid solution of the 70s. Back in the early 70s and older brake fluid wasn't corrosive. Old timers used to put it on their tires to make them shine and would put it on tractor tires to keep them from drying out. Do that these days and it'll cause the rubber to swell and be ruined.

If you clean your tires really well with something like Basin, Tub, & Tile cleaner or to a lesser extent Scrubbing Bubbles and then apply Flash Black by ArmorAll it will work pretty good. Everything else comes off too easy.

For fenders, you can use the original version of Pam cooking spray or I found Kroger brand works alright.

RPM will keep your tires clean for the most part. If you run a tire that doesn't self clean then there is no hope for you. The important part is to keep the mud from staying on your truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.