need more horsepower in 1990 s10 4x4 w/4.3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

need more horsepower in 1990 s10 4x4 w/4.3

I was wondering if anyone new what the easiest way to add horspower to my engine would be. I was looking into superchargers but they are too expensive. I also heard that you can swap in a v8 for the v6. Would that be better than getting headers and a catback dual exhaust or a chip. Also where would I buy these things? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:52 PM

Re: need more horsepower in 1990 s10 4x4 w/4.3

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Just skip all the BS and throw a supercharged V8 in there... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Catback exhaust, headers, and chip won't help much what so ever, and will *only* help on the top end if at all... In fact catback exhaust probably will only gain a little sound... Would have to change out cat for high flow model and even then you won't see a major gain...

You shouldn't supercharge an older or more used engine and you should lower compression and turn boost up a bit for maximum benefit, rather than keeping stock type compression and using very little boost... If you're going forced induction may as well do it right... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Swapping a V8 in might be a hassle, would probably have to change computer, rear axle (since increase in power is likely to break it) and so forth... There are a few good swap manuals out there, I think "Jags that run" is one of them... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] </font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 4.3 can make plenty of power without a supercharger. If it has to remain smog legal you'll just have to work harder and spend more. A new cam and a port/polish of the stock heads can do wonders. I agree that exhaust and headers don't do much for the 4.3 until you open up the other end. If you start anywhere I suggest the cam and the heads. I built a fairly mild 4.3 using off-the-shelf parts a few years ago and it easily made 260hp at the flywheel running 87-pump gas. If you've got to be smog legal most states won't let you install an engine that was not offered from the factory in the vehicle... meaning a V8 in an S-10 is probably not legal in those states. There are always loop holes and workarounds though - so don't let Johnny law get you down.

HotRod ran a pretty good article on swapping the GM V8's into the S-10's a few months ago - and there is tons of 4.3 -> 5.7 swap information on the net.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 03:14 PM
dezelman

cat-back exhaust is definitley a waste of money. I bought a gipson super truck cat-back system for my 4.3 and it killed low end torque and I only gained a minimal amount in the top end. Oh, if you guys don't mind me asking, what would be a good exhaust setup for a stock 4.3?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i havent done it yet but my plan is tosplit into duals after cat with no muffler and exit out in basically the stock position. my dad does exaust for aliving and the only way that duals fits without interfering with suspension is with a lift but im still gonna try. if you want to run 2.5" pipes thats your first mistake. you will loose all backpressure and they just wont fit. 2 1/4" sounds way better but is still a tight squeeze
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:40 PM
wrobel

i want to put dual stacks on my 4.3, but i'm told that the lost backpressure by swithing from single to dual whil kill my low end torque. what would be a good dual set up?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:56 PM
dezelman

I'd say don't put any duals on a 4.3 cause my cat back is a 3" in dual 2.5" out and I have lost tons of low end torque.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 11:14 AM

My Question is has anyone ever tried useing 2" pipe for duels?

Think About it Your stock exhust is approx 2 1/4 outside diameter your engine requires a certain amount of backpressure so how much sence does it really make to make the exhaust ( in a sence) twice the size it is stock and cut the backpressure over in half .

If you run duals that are slightly smaller then the original pipe AKA 2" then you won't lose as much back pressure and may even gain more power but you do have to be carefull Backpressure can be your egines freind and too much is also it's biggest enemy the factory exhaust is just a bit on the restrictive side but it is very close to optimum so you can use it as a guide sometimes if you get a High flow cat and a new Aftermarket Muffler you can feel a difference in the way the engine runs At least i did when I did that to my 89 I used to have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode