Water in engine oil - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 04:48 PM
WhompBigJeep

Water in engine oil

My dad has a chevy s-10 (86) that looks like it is getting water in the engine oil. It also appears that water/antifreeze is being burned in the exhaust. When you fill the radiator, you can only drive 20/30 minutes before the truck overheats, but no leaks. How is the water getting in the engine/exhaust? And how can we fix it?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:00 PM

Re: Water in engine oil

There are several different places that you could be getting water in your oil. All of them are BAD.

Somewhere or another you either have a hole in the water jacket (the passages that keep water flows through the engine to keep it cool) or you've blown a head gasket (which is actually less serious than the hole in the water jacket.

Either way you *might* be looking at some extensive repairs.

It would probably be a good idea to do a compression test? Check to see if there is an obvious place where the head gasket would be blown.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If it's a 2.8L then chances are it has a cracked head. There is a lesser chance it has a bad head gasket.

I'd pull sparkplugs and find out which side it is then pull that head off.

I almost forgot. If you've been driving it long like this then chances are every bearing in the motor is shot. It's not quite as bad as driving a motor around with an extra quart or two of gasoline but almost as bad. If you've been repeatedly overheating it then it's even worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:03 AM
WhompBigJeep

Thanks for the info. Those are the things I suspected it might be. Yuk no matter what.
So I assume I should check the plugs and look for abnormal wear? To show if it's been getting water in a cylinder? And if so, I would need to pull the head at that point to check the gasket and check for a crack?
Thanks again!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, the plugs can tell you which cylinder it is. Water can do some crazy things. It can break electrodes off and cause insulators to go AWOL. No matter what, it'll look different. Hopefully you'll just have a discolored plug then it's not too serious.

I check the plugs for several reasons:
It'll tell you what head to pull.
If the spark plug is severely damaged then chances are there are messed up valves/seats and maybe a pistion top. Perhaps even a scored cylinder wall (read: expensive fix). If it's been detonating at the wrong time for a while it can cause wrist pins to become ruined.
If the plug shows little change from normal then it is, hopefully, not too bad. That means maybe as little as a head gasket or as much as a new head.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 11:09 AM
WhompBigJeep

I pulled the plugs last night - one looks like it's got rusty water baked on to it (the inside of the radiator is VERY rusty) and one other one looks like it has oily water on it and smells like anti-freeze. The motor is a four-cylinder so I assume there is only one head. Do I just yank it off, check for cracks and re-gasket it? Thanks again for the help. I've done lots of work on my Jeep, but this is all new stuff for me.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 11:53 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Ah, the 2.5L. Good motor, no horsepower. The fool-injected ones made 92 horses.

Yeah, there's only one head. You can either buy a new one at an auto parts store or go to the junkyard. Hopefully it's just a gasket though. I've only heard of one 2.5L with a cracked head and that's because the guy was a moron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode