solid axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

solid axle

I was thinking more and more about the solid axle convertion. If I do it I'd rather have a kit to do it. anyone know a company that has one. ORU doesn't have any for s-series them *&&@#$!!!!!! Any one have a an axle for this also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: solid axle

Darn it to hell!!! No where does anything tell me what front drive shaft you use either, any one know. And if anyone lives near indiana and have had it don to there rig let me know if I can come look at it so I have a better idea. Thanks to all who have helped me with all the info on everything. I love this site!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fabritech has a kit out already (if not, it's DAMN close to being out) using an XJ style 4 link coil. ORU is said to be developing one, but i'm not holding my breath. You can still get S10 SFA parts (not the full kit mind you, but the odd crossmember or shackle yes) from Stage West...
the driveshaft is more than likely a straight up custom job too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 08:13 AM

do a search on the subject... it has been discussed many times on this board about what axles can be used and what not... there are really no kits out right now. i would rather make it anyhow. as for driveshafts, it depends on what axle you use. any good axle shop should be able to cut and weld you a custom drive shaft, not to expensive if you bring them a shaft to cut and weld...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In reading all the past postes on SFA I learned a lot but I think it also made me a little more dumbfounded to. I think I should practice on my rc truck first!!!!! LOL!! All the companies I read that suposedly have a kit for S-series convertion kits, I go to the sites ans none of them have one???? I lost there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fabritech is ready to roll on theirs (or very close.) their url is www.setstr8.com looks real sweet... the short kit will clear 35's with NO trimming or body lifting.
The last time I heard from ORU (this was in May) they were developing theirs. The best bet for axles other than a Dana 30 (it'll hold up if you're running 33's or smaller and a 4.3) is a Dana 44 and a Frod 9" from an early bronco... but those are RARE. Leafs are easier, but Coils are flexier. I had to put my SFA on hold this year (I should change my siggy) because the only dana 44 i found with a driver's side pumkin went missing from the boneyard. So i get to save up some more coin this way.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how much is this conversion and why are they running a dana 30 with 35'2 if the dana isnt strong enough??????
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 01:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i've been told anywhere in the neighborhood of $1900-2400 US. Not cheap by any means, but the setup is beefy as all sin, and adaptable to bigger axles. Most importantly, IT WORKS WELL!

Why 35s? I'd guess they threw them on to either prove a point, or the owner of the Blazer wasn't that hardcore, and probably wouldn't snap an axle on the trail.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I visited my local juck market today to buy a fender and decided to ask about prices on axles. The only thing they had with leaf springs is an 81 Cherokee with d44 and 3;31 ratio and have front and back and will through in the leaf springs with it for $200 a pc or $400 for both. Will these work right and if they are longer, how much longer will they be. I don't want my tires sticking out to far but some is ok. And does anyone have a sketch or blueprint on the sizes and stuff for the mounting brackets???? Thanks!! Oh yea, and from reading the other posts, I need a 4 inch drop pitman arm from a ford right???
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was also wondering how high I would be, I want to go to a 35 or 36 tire and not bottom out on the fenders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode