Off Roading Forums banner

solid axle

2K views 41 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I was thinking more and more about the solid axle convertion. If I do it I'd rather have a kit to do it. anyone know a company that has one. ORU doesn't have any for s-series them *&&@#$!!!!!! Any one have a an axle for this also?

G
#2 ·
Darn it to hell!!! No where does anything tell me what front drive shaft you use either, any one know. And if anyone lives near indiana and have had it don to there rig let me know if I can come look at it so I have a better idea. Thanks to all who have helped me with all the info on everything. I love this site!!!!

G
#3 ·
Fabritech has a kit out already (if not, it's DAMN close to being out) using an XJ style 4 link coil. ORU is said to be developing one, but i'm not holding my breath. You can still get S10 SFA parts (not the full kit mind you, but the odd crossmember or shackle yes) from Stage West...
the driveshaft is more than likely a straight up custom job too.

#4 ·
do a search on the subject... it has been discussed many times on this board about what axles can be used and what not... there are really no kits out right now. i would rather make it anyhow. as for driveshafts, it depends on what axle you use. any good axle shop should be able to cut and weld you a custom drive shaft, not to expensive if you bring them a shaft to cut and weld...

G
#5 ·
In reading all the past postes on SFA I learned a lot but I think it also made me a little more dumbfounded to. I think I should practice on my rc truck first!!!!! LOL!! All the companies I read that suposedly have a kit for S-series convertion kits, I go to the sites ans none of them have one???? I lost there.

G
#6 ·
Fabritech is ready to roll on theirs (or very close.) their url is www.setstr8.com looks real sweet... the short kit will clear 35's with NO trimming or body lifting.
The last time I heard from ORU (this was in May) they were developing theirs. The best bet for axles other than a Dana 30 (it'll hold up if you're running 33's or smaller and a 4.3) is a Dana 44 and a Frod 9" from an early bronco... but those are RARE. Leafs are easier, but Coils are flexier. I had to put my SFA on hold this year (I should change my siggy) because the only dana 44 i found with a driver's side pumkin went missing from the boneyard. So i get to save up some more coin this way.

G
#8 ·
i've been told anywhere in the neighborhood of $1900-2400 US. Not cheap by any means, but the setup is beefy as all sin, and adaptable to bigger axles. Most importantly, IT WORKS WELL!

Why 35s? I'd guess they threw them on to either prove a point, or the owner of the Blazer wasn't that hardcore, and probably wouldn't snap an axle on the trail.

G
#9 ·
I visited my local juck market today to buy a fender and decided to ask about prices on axles. The only thing they had with leaf springs is an 81 Cherokee with d44 and 3;31 ratio and have front and back and will through in the leaf springs with it for $200 a pc or $400 for both. Will these work right and if they are longer, how much longer will they be. I don't want my tires sticking out to far but some is ok. And does anyone have a sketch or blueprint on the sizes and stuff for the mounting brackets???? Thanks!! Oh yea, and from reading the other posts, I need a 4 inch drop pitman arm from a ford right???

G
#11 ·
if it did not have fender flares, it'll be 59" from backing plate to backing plate. S10s are around 60" center to center if i'm not mistaken. You're gonna need some HUGE mother flares to run 'em.

#13 ·
the non wide track full size cherokees are just about perfect to fit under a s10... should be 44s front and rear... the quadra trac (i think), full time 4x4, has the pumpkin offset on both axles, so just watch out for that. it will ride as high as you want it too...

G
#14 ·
questions to ask your self:

Am I keeping the stock transfer case?
if so your axle hunt is a bit limited as its on the dr side

Am I ready to fabricate, and trial and error some things?
if not dont plan on being satisfied with your SFA if you build your own

Am I ready to spend at a min of 1000.00?
you will, one way or another, you will be spending some money on this type of modification, doesnt matter how much you "shop" around on parts wheels,tires,axles,gear change possibly, these are expensive things.

Am I really goin to wheel it to benifit from this mod?
I get pissed seein people do a straight axle, and not even setting it up to work, I have seen alot of SFA's on the net that didnt flex for nuthin, why bother if you arent going to use it and set it up to work?

Am I goin to want to put more axle under it down the road?
If I knew then what I do now, I would have put fullsize axles under mine from the start, but hey trial and error, (I have a 60 in the garage for the rear, and as soon as I find a D44 or D60 front, I will be running full width 3/4 ton under mine, cause I wheel it hard, and things break!!)

just think of what your intentions for the truck are, its a big step that is well worth it if you need it!

G
#15 ·
Why didn't some of them flex worth a crap????
You are saying that the cherokee's that are the right size are full time 4 wheel drive, or are you saying watch out for them Craig?? and what years or is it all years???
And yes to all, I am willing to do alot and spend some, I love trial and eror I lern alot that way!!! And also yes I am hard on my Blazer on the trails, That is why they call me Fallapart, everything I drive falls apart from the torcher I put on it. I realy do apreciate the help you are all giving me! When I get this done I am going to have pics of it all the way so I can help others who want to try it and they can learn from my mistakes too(probly a lot of those damn mistakes)!

G
#16 ·
The Cherokees might have an AMC20 in the back. I know 90% of the Wagoneers do. It's a great axle once it's trussed, because the FSJ 20s used a 1 piece shaft. the CJs used a 2 piece which was brone to breaking.

#17 ·
I'm using a d44 from an 85 Grand Waggy and it's perfect width, for me that is. I've thought about the fullwidth thing but every time I do I think of the downsides. It'd be hard to make street legal, if only I could afford another truck, haha. The fullwidth axles would be difficult to fit on a lot of the trails I go on. Someone probably already said this but be very careful with the law since your truck is a 95. If you live up to your name, fallapart, you're gonna want atleast a d44 and comparable rear. Or possibly yota axles. Back to the waggy axles, they're considered a fullsize vehicle but the non-widetrack axles aren't much wider than stock S-10. The widetrack ones are noticable by the fender flares.

G
#18 ·
Hey Jamus, how high did that put you over stock, and was it spring over or undera? and I just found a yard that will sell me any axle there for 150 or lower. and he has several jeeps, jeep wagoneers, comanchies, and so on. I hope I can find what I need.

#19 ·
Was spring under but since going from d30 to d44, I'm going spring over. Not sure how high, don't have the front wheels on yet. But it should be about 5" over what I had before, give or take for spring sag. I fit 33's before and it was lifted about 5" over stock. So in the end I'll have about 10" of suspension lift. I'm gonna remove the 3" body lift, so it'll only be about 2" higher than it was.
Great deal on the axles. I got my d30 for 128 at a yard in PA. If you're looking at the waggy axles, look for the newer, 80 and up axles. That's if you plan on running the stock t-case. 79 and prior had the pumpkin dropped on the passenger side. You'll need it on the driver's side. The only problem with the fullsize Jeeps from 80 and up is their gearring. Mine had 2.72(not a typo, haha).

#21 ·
D44 front and AMC20 rear on most of the 80 and newer Waggys. The earlier waggys had 44's front and rear. The AMC 20 in the rear of the Waggys is not to be confused with the CJ version which had the 2-piece axle shafts. The Waggy 20 is a HD version with 1-piece shafts but the axle tubes are probably still weak.

G
#22 ·
so with what you and others have told me this axle is my best bet. I will go to the yard and see if they have one and chech my dementions to see if it will work right and all that crap. I hope to be on my way with the project by winter fall!

G
#23 ·
if you want some serious beef for an S10 SFA, your best bet is STILL Early Bronco D44 and 9" the track widths are damn near identical. no need for jeezuz mother flares, unless you really dig that kind of stuff.

#26 ·
Early Bronco (66-77) axles are about perfect. Actually they're an inch or two narrower but it turns out wider cause you use less offset wheels. I have an early Bronco 9" in the rear. The Bronco axles are ideal but can be expensive and hard to find. You can get them stock with 4.10 gears sometimes and most have drum brakes on the front. If searching for early Bronco axles also be aware that some came with a d30 front and 9" rear.

As far as pics of my setup. I'm in the middle of redoing mine, spring over and a bigger front axle. I don't have any recent pictures but everything I have is on my website, which is severely incomplete. www.angelfire.com/wv2/jamus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.