91 s15 jimmy banging around turns - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 02:36 PM
wrobel

91 s15 jimmy banging around turns

my jimmy makes a god-awful banging noise when it goes around turns. almost sounds like something is popping under the pressure of the turn? i haven't a clue. i've heard a myriad of ideas. balljoints, axle housing, motor mounts, kaput shocks. and some more off the wall stuff. does anyone know what the problem is? only makes the noise around turns.

i'm concerned for the truck, my saftey, and my driver liscense
i got pulled over my a police officer one night while driving home. i turned onto my street, truck went bangity bang, police guy sittin in car heard me. he pulled me over (in my own driveway) claiming that i ran over a curb and gave me a drunk test in my front yard. on a side note, there is no curb at all on that street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 91 s15 jimmy banging around turns

My 1990 blazer does the same thing but not all the time. I'm not sure if you can hear it outside the vehical but inside it just sounds like a quick pop. ??????
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 03:42 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Of course first of all search for anything to be loose, etc... Upon not finding anything obvious, check the torsion bar mounts... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 03:53 PM

Sounds like your torsion bars.

Check the back end of the torsion bar mounts. On the newer styles they have to links or rods that connect to the crossmember. When these break they will make this kind of sound.

Parts are cheap, replacement a pain. Make sure you read thoroughly on how to remove the torsion bars...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 03:54 PM

SandMan is right my 89 Jimmy did the same thing and the mounts for the crosmember that holds the torti9n bars were shot after i replaced them the banging was gone
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mine was doing the same thing and it turned out my cv joint was busted ....just my two cents (military pay aint that much)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:46 PM

ok this jimmy is siiting in my garage,n so what the hell wrobel an i seem to have shaken off our laziness an are ready to work on it. i check this thread an ya'll figured bout the same as i. i go out take a look at the torion bar mounts an such. lookin ok but ya cant tell about the front with the crossmember inb the way. BUT before we tear into it "hey those stabilizer bar mounts look a lil bent.... [censored] bent theyre [censored] broke" god i love when things are nice an easy to fix.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 03:13 PM
wrobel

yes, both front stabilizer bar mounts were cracked in half at the bolt. this caused the rubber grommets to slide out and roll around the stabilizer bar at their free will. 8 bucks for a new mount at the local gmc store. i just hope that's the problem.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is what was wrong with mine popping, front stablizer brakets bent. they say it is a common thing and people replace there ball joints automaticly when they here the popping(like I did) and it isn't even them!!!! Sucks to find out to late!!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:36 PM
wrobel

hehe, i still have the new mounts and everything. never even put them on. the whole IFS is sitting on a pallet. now if i could only get that new jeep axle in there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode