Just how easy is a 4.3 to 305 swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just how easy is a 4.3 to 305 swap?

I ask this because my best friend had his truck written off last night. if his 305 is still in one piece, I might be getting it from him, but it its an EFI. I can probably fit the TBI I have onto it, but I was just wondering how easy it'd be to swap the engines. Any info you've got would be GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Just how easy is a 4.3 to 305 swap?

i would'nt go 305. if you are gonna go v8 go 350. it has the same bolt pattern and the same bell housing as 305 and i think the motor mounts are the same as 4.3. 350 is way better motor with way more ummph.

thats my .02 on the deal
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 08:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

YOur going to have to find diff headers I've heard, you can get them so they wrap around your steering arm. It may cause problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I gotta rework the exhaust as it is (mine's starting to corrode out from under me, and the Cat. is rattling a little) so I'll leave that for the muffler guys.
The reason I'm going to the 305 is because it's FREE. my buddy's truck got written off, so he no longer needs it. It's mine if i can pull it and haul it over to my other buddy's shop to do the swap. I'd rather get a free 305 than pay money I don't have for a 350.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 02:31 PM

I've never personally done the swap myself but I may be able to give you a fstraight forward answers
as for as doin the swap to the best of my knowledge the motor mount are no different then a 350
exhaust you will have to get a set of headers that are designed for the S-10 ( they also make motor mount kits ...you can get both At Summit Racing )
If the throttle body will bolt on you can try it but i would suggest seeing if you can get the wiring harness and Computer out of the donor vehical to ease the transition (reason your computer in your truck is to run 6 cylinders not 8)
other then those things I say go for it I love the price you got the 305 for I got a 4.3 for the same amount
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 07:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TBIs don't have computers. that's why I want to bolt on a TBI unit instead of going with EFI. The simpler I keep it, the better for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

it's bad enough TBI scares the crap outta me, EFI would kill me.

Mind you, the last time I did engine work it was on a Toyota 3A.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

for the 305 if you want it to pull more than the 4.3 you might have to upgrade. i dont know if it is factory but i know that they dont have much more power than the 4.3. that is a steal though. what year is your truck?? and the computer needs to be switched because of timeing and other things like check engine lights, sensors that sort of stuff. i would get one from the junk yard. as for the wireing harness. if you dont have the cash ive heard of people doing it themselves. keep us posted.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:34 AM

tbi's do too have computers... it is right behind your glove box... i just put a carbed 350 in my 89. ripped all the crap out... to bad needed the computer for abs brakes and lockout on the tranny, but i don't care. made my motor mounts. have to modifiy the oil pan... or buy a custom one ($200-$250). depending on how you mount it, you will need to modifity your drive shafts, need some electric fans, possibly a better radiator. as for headers, i used headman 2wd shorties ($110). have to cut the shock tower for clearance, and suppose to do something with the steering shaft, but i didn't... also, they run a little close to the fuel lines, but it should be ok. i left my tranny and all that stuff in the stock location, and just set the motor in the truck, bolted that stuff up, then welded my mounts in... so i have 2 pusher fans on the front of the radiator, no room for anything on the back, and it will get a little warm at idle, but is fince driving.... think it is mainly from the mechanical temp guage getting hot form the stagnet air in the engine compartment...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:37 AM

also. for the tbi. you can keep you stock computer and wiring harness. what you need to do is get the chips for you computer out of a truck that had a 305 in it. also, need the tbi intake for a v8. and need some new injectors also.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd just keep the 4.3. to much work and 4.3 is more reliable. build it up and you will have all the power you need and will probly be less of a headache!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode