EXHAUST NOISE!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:01 AM
sayl4u

EXHAUST NOISE!!

My wifes 99 blazers exhaust makes a horrible rattle/vibration ocassionaly, doesnt last long and is mostly at start-up.Ive checked it out but I cant find a thing wrong,anybody have any ideas!!thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: EXHAUST NOISE!!

I'd wager on a loose baffle in the catalytic converter. just chunk it out and put in an off-road pipe [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 03:49 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Aah but if they do that, their computer will get upset, remember a 99 will have OBD II which means sensor before *and* after the catalytic converter...

Original poster... I'd tap on the catalytic converter and see if that rattles. Might have to tap a little hard on it. Other than that I've not got many thoughts, is there still any warranty? Doubtful but never know?... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about a 1990 can a person pull the cat out of them without computer problems. I have been told yes you can and no you can't.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:10 AM

Jon I had an 89 and I would say you can but you have to be careful in some areas (some places have laws about that)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 10:12 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Two answers. Yes it's safe to do that on that truck. The way to verify whether it's safe to do on any vehicle without annoying the computer is to crawl under there, locate exhaust pipe, note location of sensors in pipe, if only appear *before* the cat, then everything's good to go and can remove it. If there's a sensor *after* the catalytic converter, then you cannot remove it without annoying the computer...

But that 90 should be good to go... Although watch out for legal issues if you do that and then sell it without pointing out that it's been done, not sure of the local laws where you're at though, so check to keep yourself out of hot water... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thanks, but in Alberta it does not matter from what I've been told. Only thing is suposed to have mufflers and pipe must exit behind passenger area. Other than that do what ever you want I think, I know a tone of people that pull their cats on older vehicals.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it is the cat take it to the dealership, I was a year out of warranty when mine went and I paid for a new one. I had problems with the new one and took it to the dealership. They told me that the new one was cooked and would have been replaced under warranty it I hadn't changed it already. So save some dough and take it in.

P.S. I had the same noise and it was obviously the cat.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The joys of living in Alberta, eh Jon?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey griz where you at ? And am I right with the laws in alberta or what ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode