newbie questions about S-10s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

newbie questions about S-10s

so i have a Z-71 and I'm thinking about stepping down to soemthing a bit more rpacticle for me....like a ZR2.
simple questions for ya'll....for some reason the sear function gives me "no matches found" reardless of what i search for...i mean it didnt coime up with anything for the word "tire"....so i think its not working.
----how much lift will i be needing to get over 285/75/16 tires...actually do ZR2s even have 16in wheels?
---are the narrow version (on S-10s) 10bolt axles the same as fullsized 10bolts (aside from width obviously).
---what tranny/T-case combos are favorable. I would prefer a manual over an automatic.

basically i dont know much atall about the smaller version of GM vehicles and i am looking for info so i can check for them in the area
anything you can think of that might be helpful to me is certainly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: newbie questions about S-10s

Hi,

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

----how much lift will i be needing to get over 285/75/16 tires...actually do ZR2s even have 16in wheels?

<hr></blockquote>

ZR2's come with 15x7 wheels, 31x10.5 BFG's.

---are the narrow version (on S-10s) 10bolt axles the same as fullsized 10bolts (aside from width obviously).

<hr></blockquote>

From what I understand they are in fact the larger 10-bolts that come on the full size trucks. I'm not too sure, but they may be a direct match. The "normal" S-10's come with the smaller 10-bolt axles.

---what tranny/T-case combos are favorable. I would prefer a manual over an automatic.

<hr></blockquote>

I think in their first years you had an option, but if you're buying new I'm almost positive that your get only one option -- auto tranny and electronic button transfer case.

Hope that helped.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did see a ZR2 with a 5 speed once... I think the manuals have to be ordered as such by the dealer from the factory. 99.5% of the Z71s and ZR2s on dealership lots are autos. The nice thing about 'wheeling n auto is there's less fancy footwork to do when you go over rocks/logs/stumps. Sure, automatic means more stuff to break, but it truly is less work. Give you more time to look at the next obstacle down trail. I'm still partial to a stick, but that's simply because of fun factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

hey guys, thanks for the info. i can't get anything with an auto...thats waht too k me so long to get my full-sized. tough to find a Z-71 with a stick from the factory. I'll just have to keep my eye out for a 5-speed ZR2...and i hope it has a manually engaging T-case too.
thanks again for the info.

P.S. sorry about typing errors. missing the tips of a few fingers....smashed the heck out of em today roofing i think 2 will heal alright...kinda lost the tip to the other one though....might heal might not.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

A dealer doesn't sell many vehicles with manual transmissions and other options. Usually the only manuals you'll find on a lot are strip-model vehicles.

Manuals are nice for everything but mud. Once those tires stop spinning you might as well reach for the snatch strap because you're done.

I have my first automatic, I've been driving/riding only manuals since I was eight. It's actually more difficult for me because you can't slip the clutch and keep the rpms up. Even though I've been driving this truck for a year, in an emergency situation I go looking for the clutch pedal and the shifter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

ZR2s have the same axle only narrower to my knowledge. If you want rear disc you can get them out of a Bravada.

The rest of the S10s/S10 Blazers have 7.5"/7.625" carriers.

You're probably going to find a T5 hooked to a NP231.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well i the only way ive seen a blazer without electronic t-case is if it was specialy ordered that way. and a 5-speed tranny i think is still the 700r4 which in my mind in a great tranny. the t-case is pretty good too. the only bad thing is ball joints, cv's, and a few other front end parts go bad and often. other than that they are good vehicles.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 09:00 AM

well i the only way ive seen a blazer without electronic t-case is if it was specialy ordered that way. and a 5-speed tranny i think is still the 700r4 which in my mind in a great tranny. the t-case is pretty good too. the only bad thing is ball joints, cv's, and a few other front end parts go bad and often. other than that they are good vehicles.

<hr></blockquote>

The 700r4 (actually it's called something else now and I don't remember what; it's all electronic now) is an automatic and is a four-speed. The current model for the 5-speed manual should be the NV3500. You're right though as they are both GREAT transmissions. The only drawback I find is that the autos on the newer models don't have a big honkin' tranny cooler. This is why they tell you to change out the fluid ever 30,000 miles (I think that's the number). If they had some kind of real tranny cooler I'm sure that they would last much longer without baking the fluid.

Ball joints are a PITA for any Chevy. The main problem for me is that the OEM sets used rivets instead of bolts, so I have to take it into a shop or something to hammer out the rivets the first time. Not such a big deal, but I'm NOT going to use a hammer and chisel to get my ball joints off the first time. It's just one more thing to go wrong the first time.

Grizz mentioned earlier that they used to have some manual ZR2's out there. He's right -- When they came out in 1996(I think), they had a manual option AND a standard cab option, which IMHO would be a GREAT choice for a heavily modifiable truck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

actually i believe that last year that you could get a manual was 99. i was looking into one but i didnt think i could get the foot work when im mudding. oh well. anyway ive got bigger probs now. i was a t the movies the other night and the big light poles have a 3' high cement block around the base. well i backed into one!!!! 1200 bucks!! i almost shat myself. bent the frame and all. ill see if i can get some pics for everyone. i cant be to mad though cuz [censored] happens.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

good deal on the info guys...thanks for the help....everyopne is right about front end components...its part of the inherent design of the IFS system....it just isnt SFA so there ha go.
I'm quite glad to fint the axle to be the same ring size...thatmeans my locker will swap over if i go this route...disk brake from bravada.....something to consider, I"ve enver had read risc brakes so i dont know what I"m missing.
the 700r4 is a pretty good tranny, but it is an auto 4 speed. the current designation is 4L60E....the 3/4and1 ton version is the 4L80E. i have an NV3500 in my 1/2 ton Z-71, i figure if its good enough for this truck it ought to hold up to the smaller/lighter S size.
icant deal with a standard cab truck...not room for my tools, speakers, peoople, gear...etc etc. as for the tranny choice, i had an automatic once, and didnt like it. but i know a bit more about them now and can add plates change bands, and drop in vette servos and what not to make em perform a bit ebtter....i still like my 5-speed though. thats whati learned on at 6yrs old out on the farm....beendriving sticks for 14 years. just thre way i like it. i may be stubborn or something, but its easier for me to rebuold a stick than a slushbox...better MPG too depending on gear ratios and wht not.
so with all that said,
thanks onne again for good info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode