weird smell??????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

weird smell???????

i have a 00 blazer with vortec 4.3 h/o and when i rod on it for a little while like out muddin or something it starts to smell like its overheating but the temp is normal and the oil pressure is too???? if anyone has this prob or can help me let me know. and what is oil pressure supposed to be when at idle???? thanx for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 06:58 AM

Re: weird smell???????

Everything sounds about normal. When you romp on it for a while the temp WILL go up in your engine and especially your tranny. There are probably a bunch of plastic parts in there that heat up as well. Plus, mud + water + vortec tends to equal some kind of smell.

Also, when the motor heats up and you let it idle for a while you might have a tendency to start puking out coolant from the reservoir.

As far as oil pressure, it seems that normal idle, fully warmed up should be about 45 psi or a little higher.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 07:13 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

As far as oil pressure, it seems that normal idle, fully warmed up should be about 45 psi or a little higher.

<hr></blockquote>

Are you *sure* about that? I've always understood 15-20psi at idle and then increasing by an increment of about 10 every 1k RPM's is sufficient in all but some race engines... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That # quoted seems especially high if you consider oil pressure can be expected to go down as the engine warms up... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I *could* easily be wrong though... </font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 07:19 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure but could be wrong.

This is from comparisions betwixt my truck (98 s-10 4.3) and two ZR2's (Blazer, '99 and truck, 2002).

I would think that oil pressure running idle at 15 psi is not good!

But then again it would also depend on the viscosity you're running. I'm still working with 5w30. The weather doesn't change much here in San Diego so I don't need to make any drastic viscosity changes.

At cold the pressure is WAY up there, about 60-75 psi and goes down around 45 psi at idle, sometimes lower but never down to 15-20.

But if this is wrong for the 4.3's then I need to do some serious systems checks!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 01:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok that makes sense but my temp gage does not rise from about 190-200 that is normal so i dunno and the oil at idle is usually 20 and driving is 40-45 with 10w-30 well thanx for the help.
oh yeah.... does anybody know the code that will tell me which gears i have????? they are either 3.42 or 3.73 right? thanx again for the help
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 05:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine is the same as yours. We have TBI engines and that seems to be the normal. JR has the newer engine as he has a 1997 and that seem to be the norm for his.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 07:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Copied from S10Extremist.org:

GM was nice enough to put a dash plaque (laminated paper inside glove box)
in our vehicles that lists a bunch of codes... If you see any of the following
codes listed then you have the axle ratio specified...

GM8 = 2.56
GU2 = 2.73
GU4 = 3.08
GU6 = 3.42
GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10
HO4 = 4.11

The 2.56 was a 2wd option only in 82 while the 2.73 option was only an
option in 82-83... An interesting thing to find was the 2.73 was an option
even on the 4wd in 83...

Bad-Bowtie, M.Hall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode