Installing Trailer lights ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Installing Trailer lights ?

I am going to checker today to buy a flat four connector for my 1987 Jimmy (I have had a reciever hitch for along time but never put lights on)
I honestly have not even looked under there yet [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] but I am assuming there is no pigtail to plug into? so I am figuring I will need to splice into the wiring. I did a search already and came up with very little, but did find one about a 1999 is it the same color code as my 87?
Green = Right turn sig
Yellow = Left turn sig
Brown = Brake lights
White = ground

If this is not right what is????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Re: Installing Trailer lights ?

I just got back from Checker. Looks like for 90 and up GM had a factory wired plug, I could plug a kit into. But not on my 87[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
So I will need to cut/splice into my wires. Also I realize the color code I posted is for the connector I just bought[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
I need to know the color code for the trucks wires that I need to splice into.
ANYONE?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 03:52 PM

You're only going to have to deal with the harness coming to the back, so at least you're not going to be stuck trying to find it!

The only thing you can really do is take a test light and poke a wire. Then check which is brake, turn and hazard.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Incidentally, if you go to some place like a U-Haul they will probably set it up for you at little or no cost!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to a reputable RV shop. They do it for a living, and can do it in minutes. I figure the most they'd bill you is a half hour for the labor. My best friend is an RV tech, and he does all the work my dad and I can't do on dad's trailer for real cheap (Case of beer)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I pulled the interior panleing off the rear drivers side on my '88 and found the factory wiring harness just before it goes to the tail light. Ironicly, the wire colors matched the four pin wiring perfectly.
The easiest way to go is probobly to remove the rear drivers tail light and wire it up from there. I just went inside to keep all the splices dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode