extremely frustrated and need help!!!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

extremely frustrated and need help!!!!!!!!!!

I recently put a 4.3v6 with a 350th in my '83 s-10 and I am having nothing but trouble with the ignition. The f#%&*$g thing will only run for a short time and then it either fries or kicks out the module. I have changed the module several times, changed the coil, changed the pickup coil, and put in a porcelain resistor block to control voltage.
Someone please help before I drive th thing into a river!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: extremely frustrated and need help!!!!!!!!!!

grounds? go back through everything, if we could fix electrical problems over the net, we could open shop and make millions bro, it sucks but take your time and recheck three times.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have already checked the ground on the distributor 4 times, I've had it out, cleaned the block, cleaned the hold down, cleaned the distributor. The only thing that I havn't done is change the resistor that hooks up to the module
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 04:18 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Have you checked the resistance of the resistor you're using? Have you checked voltage getting to the coil? Perhaps the resistance isn't high enough... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I think 10v is a good rule of thumb perhaps a hair less... I don't recall which it should be. A decent shop manual should list a spec for it... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Have you checked the engine ground? The one that goes from the engine (optimally with a short fastener in the threaded hole in the back of the alternator case which is what this is intended for) to the battery? Might make one to frame too, and ground frame to battery.... So many different grounds that are helpful... Make sure to use a somewhat heavy ground wire for each of these, as you don't want the risk of too much current tryin' to flow thru too small of a wire...

That's just a theory. Other than that just get in there and probe around with a multimeter to see what you find out of the ordinary. *Something* has to be wrong with it or it'd not do that... Electrical problems can be a pain.

Just a thought but do you have the resistor in the correct wire to the coil? Should be 2 wires, one for when you're starting (without a resistor) and one for regular conditions. Perhaps those are reversed? [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a few more ideas... </font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode