How many SFA guys are runnin around here? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How many SFA guys are runnin around here?

Just curious as to who has what, pics are always welcome, I dig seein other peoples rides, anyone still thinkin about doin an SFA? Lets see yo rides!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How many SFA guys are runnin around here?

I'm not SFA yet, but I will be by the end of the Winter.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm really new to this 4x4'ing world. What is SFA? What is the difference between SFA and IFS? Don't mean to sound stupid, just a little ignorant of this terminology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 06:19 PM

Don't worry, everyone lacks knowledge about something, and gains it later on!

SFA = Solid Front Axle.
One solid axle suspended by front leaf springs or other kooky suspension setups. When the axle moves one side is directly affected by the other.

IFS = Independent Front Suspension.
Very short solid front axle, but with two smaller axle shafts at the end that move up and down to articulate. The shafts are held and helped with control arms on the upper and lower side of each wheel in the front. The suspension is generally torsion bar but could be coil sprung or ???. Each side is indpendent of the other.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, now I know. Does SFA provide better stability when off-roading? Why would you want to change your setup if you have IFS to SFA and vice versa? Is this a real pricey conversion if you decide to go that way?

Let me know, thanks.

92blazer
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 11:37 PM

Honestly it all depends on the type of terrain you're running.

I like running the desert at good speeds, so I prefer the IFS setup. It is one of those things that people argue over for hours on end!

In my opinion (that's my disclaimer). If you're running trails at slower speeds and need massive articulation, go SFA. If you're running hard and fast and need to have the right wheel independent from the left to compensate for terrain changes, go with better IFS.

Unfortunately there are no real good long travel IFS kits out there. I know of one guy who did a kit and works with California Super Trucks. From what I was told he got like 11" of wheel travel with 4 wheel drive but kept exploding front differentials. The extra wheel travel is one reason why folks go for solid front axle.

Either way you look at it, it's going to be pricey.

SFA is a custom deal. Install at your own risk.
IFS has some "kit's" available that don't really provide any real-world travel.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 01:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

JR has it right. I'm going SFA because there really isn't much for desert terrain, and the only real good beach running happens in very early spring at the reservoir about 2 hours from my place. I don't get out much except for on long weekends, and depending on the snow pack in the mountains, i may only get to hit that beach on the May Long weekend (I'm in Canada, and it's the 3rd weekend of may.) The nearest desertlike conditions are about five or six hours from me, and that's just too much driving for a day trip, or a weekend. Everything else I do except for the fire roads up to the trailhead scream SFA, so yeah, I bought an axle (It's a Dana 30, it'll get me through next summer, then I can save up for a set of Dana 44s.)
Wise man once told me, learn to 'wheel with what you have. If you constantly find yourself getting stuck or breaking stuff, then upgrade. No shame in running IFS for a few years, or for ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode