This is bad - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is bad

I was stopped at an intersection on my way home from work today, and this rice burner pulls up next to me looking like he wants to race. The road narrows just past the intersection, and i was in the through lane. When the light turned, I walked on it, and just as my truck was about to upshift, i noticed a big cloud of black smoke behind me. I already had the guy beat, so i backed off the gas and cruised at the speed limit with my eyes glued to the oil pressure and temp gauges. Everything was fine, no lights came on at all, and I checked it out when I got home. seems that only at high rev i get this sooty black exhaust. Doesn't smell or look like burning oil. Think I might have a bigger problem than old age on that motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: This is bad

I'm pretty sure it's old age, but do you have really crappy gas mileage with that black soot?

Friend's brand new 2002 ZR2 was getting like 10MPH for some reason. He took it in and it turned out to be a fuel injector stuck open or otherwise not working correctly.

In your case you had the thing WFO and that might have caused it.

Just don't do that all the time.

Besides, it gets boring after a while and you start getting cocky. Next thing you know you're making up excuses to go to stop lights to wait for ricers to show up.

Then you'll start to drink. Coffee at first. But then Gatorade. Maybe even Sobe or something. Anything to keep you on your "mental edge".

Oh sure, you'll tell people "it's fun". But the real reason is that you're addicted to seeing a Honda Civic with crappy shocks and that damned coffee can for an exhaust setup in your rear-view mirror.

Then you'll say something like "I can stop whenever I want to". But the truth of the matter is you burned your brakes on the last quarter mile; stopping isn't exactly EASY anymore.

Things start getting blurry. People stop talking to you because you have your head up your hood installing superchargers, new plugs and wires and that wide open exhaust kit. It's not that you're rude or anything; they just can't hear you with your head under the hood!

So, believe me my friend. It's just not worth it!

This message brought to you by lack of coffee and pure deficiency of morning entertainment.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I still get about 500 km to a tank (76L) so my mileage ain't all bad.

Draggin' rice burners is a rare thing for me. There's very few who travel my route to and from work because the road is that rough, and anywhere in the city is no good because of traffic congestion. And what's wrong with installing a supercharger? I've been wanting one for months [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 08:08 AM

Hey, there's nothing wrong with installing superchargers. Just don't start doing blood transfusions with 5w30 oil. Gets a little messy.

I'm just trying to keep you away from "drag strip anonymous" meetings, that's all!

I always find it interesting that these little cars are so popluar, and yet so many people go the wrong way and get more of the "look" before they concentrate on performance.

Like sheep, they go and get the same stuff for their vehicles. I've never seen so many custom cars that look the same!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 02:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I want the charger for the added torque, so I can climb the steeper hills and play in the deeper mud with the guys in my 4x4 club who run diesel 'yotas, Rovers, and V8 powered Jeeps.
I see too many V8 converted S-trucks. I wanna be different. And, depending on if I can afford it, I may be the first and only SFA S-truck within 100+ km radius!

The Blazer's going into the shop this week too. I'm really losing oil now. Hell, I had to scrub plans for the trail run I was supposed to go on this weekend (sad part is, I was already 50 km away from the staging point when I had to climb a hill. I was smokin' worse than a poorly maintained diesel!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode