Which truck beter offroad performance? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which truck beter offroad performance?

I was wandering, I've heard alot about jacked up trucks, with big tires(32s&up) with the big mud grip tires perform offroad better, But then I have have heard, trucks with small lifts, and the smaller tires 235s-31s with A/Ts or M/ts perform better? myself i havent been extreme offroading, only small mud holes, about 1 1/2-2' deep, or up a old muddy washed out road, well a friend wants me to to go with him, he has a few buddys with jeeps, toyota's, and there is a blazer too, I have seen a few of them, they supposely do the extreme offroading, With the deeper mud holes, and some pretty slimy stuff, a friend wants me to go but, im afraid, my Jimmy wont keep up, Ive got a 4.3, and 1 1/4 T/B and shackle lift, with 235/75s the BF goodys a/ts. I dont want to get out there and have to be winched out every where i go... what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 01:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which truck beter offroad performance?

Well, from what I've seen & experienced, bigger seems to be better. Bigger tires, bigger engines with scads of torque, and bigger gear ratios. Solid Front Axles seem to dominate too. But that's in in the central part of Alberta, Canada, where it's a pretty even mix of things from mud to hardpack to rock to sand and even snow, year round. The Club I'm a member of is pretty much Jeeps, Toyotas & fullsize trucks & SUVs with Solid axles. There's a bunch of Land Rovers in the club too. So far, I'm the only S10 driver, and the brunt of all the jokes. I keep telling them to yuck it up until I put the lift on the Blazer and some real tires.
As a rule, ATs suck in the mud, but don't let it hold you down. I've been boggin' on 225/75R15 All season's before, and only got stuck because I went over a bump that was steeper than my breakover angle. Lesson learned: Get a lift. At least 2" worth! Life sucks when you're perched on something that even a Jeep Liberty cleared, and all four corners are spinning at idle. But judging by the way your ride is set up, you should do all right. Just don't over drive the truck [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which truck beter offroad performance?

i think that you might be best off looking into:
A. traction: definitly a locker if you wanna play with the big boys(try one of the side gear replacements like a lockrite).
B. suspension: a small lift would do you well until you finally get fed up with the IFS, a solid axle will be a must if you plan on runnin with the big dogs so to speak.
C. tires: get some good tires probably about 30s, maybe even 31s if you do a little trimming. some muds would be great, you will eventually go to bigger tires once you complete the second part of B (a body lift will most likey be in order to clear tires larger than 31s).
A,B and C all boil down to increasing traction through agressive tires, a locker(or two) and better suspesion flex(ifs doesn't lend itself to flexing well, most lifts only increase clearance).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode