Whats the going rate for a 4.3 engine ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whats the going rate for a 4.3 engine ?

Hey all you 4X4 dudes out there! I`mm thinkin of going from 2.8 to 4.3. What`s the letter to designate the displacement?
i.e.200HP or 240HP? I took my S-10 on a road trip and she`s leakin some tranny fluid and alittle oil.went and jacked her up and pressure washed the underside after I figured how to take off the skid plates.Man was there alot of old grease and grime! So gonna drive her around and see where the leaks are coming from.I parked her at a rest stop and noticed some smoke comming up between the canopy and the bed of the truck.Is there a chance of a fire hazard here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 06:14 PM

Re: Whats the going rate for a 4.3 engine ?

If you're bleeding tranny fluid all over the place then yes, there is a chance of fire. If you're just leaking a little bit here and there there's less worry. I think that tranny fluid has a pretty high flash point, so it'll take some heat to get it to ignite.

As far as your question about the letter to designate displacement? Dunno what you mean. Horsepower (HP) is about 160 to 180 for "regular" engines and 195 for the ZR2-specific engines. Do you mean the VIN codes for the engines?

BTW -- a swap to a 4.3 from a 2.8 isn't going to be easy. You'll need a whole new tranny. With a 3.4 coversion you can still keep your stock tranny in it's place. Big difference between the 60 degree and 90 degree v6's.

The letter you're look for is "L" -- Liters! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode