Is a 2wheel drive s10 frame strong enough? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 07:32 PM
JHoward

Is a 2wheel drive s10 frame strong enough?

I have an 88 model 2wheel drive short wheelbase s10 that I put a 305 v8/ 350 turbo trans in. I have spotted a late 70 model 3/4 ton chevy that has some running gear I would like to put under the S10. I plan on using 2inch lift wrangler springs. I am conserned about whether or not the frame will hold up to off roading it. Any body have any suggesitons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 03:58 PM

Re: Is a 2wheel drive s10 frame strong enough?

Box the frame front to back on both frame-rails and TACK-WELD along all the crossmembers that are RIVETED in. DON'T run continuous weld seams across the frame rails, as this will make brittle, weak spots. The frame is already strong, but you don't want to take too much flex from it... a little flex keeps it from cracking.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with hammerdown, I'd to some welding. It should hold up fine by itself, depending on how serious of an off roader you are. Key word there "should" because it was made for a 2wheel drive not 4. So, if it was me I'd go with hammerdown's idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 08:18 PM

Just adding...

Most 4x4 frames are built a little beefier than the 4x2 because engineers know that a 4x2 is designed for the road.

Keeping in mind that with a 4x2 you're going to be spinning your wheels more and probably have to speed your way through things, beefing up the frame is a good idea. And get some really good shocks and springs for control! A 4x4 has the advantage of being able to go slowly and has the extra pull from the front end.

A locker in the rear is always a good idea since you only really have one wheel driving the vehicle at any one point and time. Even a limited slip may not be enough if you plan on wheeling with a 4x2.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 05:12 PM
JHoward

JR Please don't think that I ould take my v8 powered s10 offroad while still a 2wheel drive. As mentioned in my post I plan on putting a 14bolt FF in the rear and the matching D44 up front.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2002, 06:32 PM

OK.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I have an 88 model 2wheel drive short wheelbase s10 that I put a 305 v8/ 350 turbo trans in. I have spotted a late 70 model 3/4 ton chevy that has some running gear I would like to put under the S10. I plan on using 2inch lift wrangler springs. I am conserned about whether or not the frame will hold up to off roading it. Any body have any suggesitons.

<hr></blockquote>

You only mentioned running gear from a 3/4 ton truck. I assumed you were going to keep it 4x2, not 4x4...

And besides, there are plenty of folks who do "pre-running" with 4x2 trucks. They just need us 4x4 guys to pull them out when they get stuck in the sand! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

At any rate, beefing up the 4x2 frame is always a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode