New to 4 wheelin - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to 4 wheelin

Ok, so im relatively new to the 4 wheelin scene, but im really interested in it. I have an 86 GMC jimmy s15, with the weak [censored] 2.8l engine, i want to make this suv a pretty good 4 wheeler, without spending my entire bank account. I want to put the 4.3L vortec in, can this be done with the stock tranny? or what would i have to do. Basically anyone who could give me some info on fixin my truck up a lil bit would be extra helpful. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:24 PM

Re: New to 4 wheelin

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Would have to change your stock transmission. You'd have to change the entire engine wiring harness and all wiring for the computer. Do you want to go with a manual or automatic? 3, 4 or 5 speed?

What sort of off roading do you do? Depending on what kind you do, doing a solid front axle swap rather than engine/tranny swap might be more cost effective in getting a good wheeler. </font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the '86s ran with a 700R4 if the newbie has a 4 speed auto. my 88 as one, and my 83 had one too. If I were you, I'd save some grief with the electrical and stuff and drop in a 3.4 out of a V6 camaro. it's a straight drop in. My uncle's other nephew (his wife's side of the family, no relation to me) did that with his old S10 and I took the 2.8 for my Jimmy until the trans died on it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i drove a 3.4 and 4.3 and the power was a little varied going with the 4.3 but the 3.4 runs smooth and it does have power. save the $$$ on the tranny and harness go with the 3.4 and workon the rest of the truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode