My rear is a mess... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2000, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

My rear is a mess...

The rear differential of the truck, that is... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Take a look at the picture of the inside of the differential. I don't think it turned out too well in the picture, there are at least 10 teeth on the ring gear that have partially busted teeth, and the carrier looks really bad, like it somehow got bound up with the ring gear teeth somehow.. It is the "factory locker" option that it said on the inside of glove box. From what I've heard, it's a Gov-Lok, is this right? What would be a suitable replacement? I was kind of thinking that since I'll be replacing the ring and pinion, that I might as well replace the carrier with a Detroit locker or some other real locker. Do they make any for the rear of these trucks? What's the best one?

Here's the picture (if you click the picture, it is linked to the small page I have about my truck):

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My rear is a mess...

Ooooo gaaaadddddd....Blood and guts...Uggggggg....Looks like the ring took a walk across the locker.... You said you wanted to install some thing in that space up front right???? Now are you going to take my advice and get an ARB???? Firs Q tho is what size ring is that rear end??? You want the 8.5 carrier the full size get not the 7 5/8 the 2wd get and a lot of the 4x4's....Make sure the housings ok... Good thing thats not the $2000 axle you just got back from the shop getting built up....

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2000, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had that same rear end (and i loved it) untill i tore it up just like you did only worse aand now i have a standard rear end in it(and i hate it) i have been giving alot of thought into putting a ZR2 rear axel in it. I understand they are like 2 inchs wider and that does not bother me at all. But they have the 8 1/2 ring gear in them so from what i understand they will hold up to a locker alot better then the pos i have under her now. has anyone tried anything like this before? i have a buddy that has a 00' zr2 blazer that i am going to measure the spring perches on one of these days to decide if it is worth the work.
later

Nick
[email protected]
87' s15 jimmy 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If memory serves me correctly, the Zr2 rear is 4" wider. I don't know about the spring perches though. The Zr2's came with the 3.73 gears, a perfect match for you Tim. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I want to be a follower, but all the leaders seem to be lost.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, 4" wider... Will someone who has a ZR2 please measure their rear axle from wheel mount flange to wheel mount flange, also, measure please how far it is from the wheel mount flange to the spring perch? I'd really appreciate it! Also, how about the availability of a Detroit locker for the ZR2 rear?

If one of those would work, that'd be [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 01:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Found an article in Feb. 2000 Four Wheeler:
8 1/2 rear aval. in '95 and newer high output L35 V6 with manual trans...rear identified by the way the axle tubes get larger where they meet the center section. The driveshaft will need to be shortened...4x4 rears are 4" wider than the 2wd...ZR2 rears are 4" wider than the regular 4x4 rears.

No mention of the perches.
Not alot of info, but a start. Driveshaft shortened??? Interesting, but that's what they said. As for the lockers, they 8 1/2 should be the same as the full size only narrowed 4", right? BTW, I measured my dads Tahoe, 8" wider overall and at the perches. You might want to try http://www.ring-pinion.com for locker and LSD aval.

I want to be a follower, but all the leaders seem to be lost.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 02:43 AM

"You really should see a doctor about that..."

Anyway, you might as well look into a custom jobber deal thingee and see if you can get a carrier that's got some meat to it, like the ZR2. The only problem I see is that the rear ends are going to be harder to find. I know at least in CA it's damn near impossible to find one on the ROAD, let alone a boneyard.

I'm wondering if someone actually makes rear axles for our trucks with a different pumpkin using the same axle tubes. I know that a company made a Toyota axle that used a Chrysler 8.75 rear diff with stock axle tubes, so everything bolted up right the first time and the worst part was getting the right u-joints to mate with the stock driveshaft. All I remember was the article in one of the off-road mags called "project 875".

Good luck!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BTW 98 and newer have disk brakes!!!!! If I find one im instantly buying it and eating taco bell sauce for a few weeks.... Or a rear dana-44 is the same strength but still having a problem finding the right width... Hello Dynatrac??? 2 grand!!!!! Aaahhhhhhhh........

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 12:08 PM

How about something like Currie Enterprises? http://www.currieenterprises.com is the url, I think ...

Mmmm Taco Hell...

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2000, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Maybe what I'll just do is take the axles out from under the 'burb and toss 'em under the S truck... Solid front axle would be interesting, of course they'd be a foot or two too wide... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And with the 35's the little 2.8 would be lucky if it could move at all... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Just a crazy thought... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode