Super Swamper tire question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Super Swamper tire question

i was wondering if the Super Swamper Radial TSL would suit my offroad needs sufficiently or, should i go for the Super Swamper Bogger? I dont mud race, and the trails i go on are soupy mud, wet clay, water, rock, and some sand. i also need them to be controlable on road as well. i dont care much about road noise, but the ride should be pretty smooth. im either going to get 31x12.5x15 boggers for the back and 31x9.50x15 Swampers for the front, 32x10.5x15 swampers all around, or 31x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains......help!

Later,
MeatLoaf

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/8071/ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Super Swamper tire question

Stay with the same size tire.. Parneli Jones just came out with an agressive mud tire. don't remember the site I saw it at tho. Im running BFG muds now and will never go back to AT's... The BFG has a good life if you run street alot. Twice as much as the TSL people have said. Look at the new Goodyear MD/R. That looks nice but they where not available when I got the BFG's. The SSB's do not work on the road verry well at all. But are the best off road slingin mud :~) What lift and tires do you have? That would help for the width selections.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 01:27 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Don't mix & match radials & bias tires if you plan to run on the road - can cause some really weird handling. And not counting the SSR's (a totally different tire) there are actually two distinct tread designs on TSL radials. The 31X9.50 is much more aggressive than the 32X10.50. If you want 32" radials, go for an equally aggressive, but much longer-lasting tire like the Cooper STT or the not-quite-as-long-lasting-and-more-expensive BFG M/T. The 31X9.50 Radial TSL will be more aggressive than Coopers or BFG's though. Boggers are worthless in deeper mud & suck on the highway, so they don't sound like a very good idea for you (although they do grip slimy rocks pretty well). For a really aggressive radial, skip the 32X10.50 TSL Radial & go with either 31X9.50 or 33X10.50 TSL Radial. If mileage is a concern, skip both.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 12:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Right now i have Futura Dakota 31x10.5x15's (i think they are all terrain), and no lift. The 2.8 pushes them no problem. i want to go 31x10.5 or 11 upfront, and 31x12.5 in the rear. i have stock rims (6.5 width) on it right now, but plan to go to 15x8's upfront, and 15x10 out back. My friends run BFG M/T's on their S-10 Blazers and P/u's., but i figured i would get opinions on S.Swampers, etc. anyone ever used the ThornBird's? i might just end up getting 31x10.5 BFG M/T's. Do They come in 31x12.5x15?

Later,
MeatLoaf

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/8071/ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 03:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heres the low down on the Super Swamper Boggers,I have 33x14.00x15 Boggers on my S-10
The tread life depends on the driving conditions.On road you won't get many miles out of them.
Extremly loud tires( my friends say they can hear me comin' a mile or so away before they see
me) on road.Hard to keep balanced and very touchy about the air pressure,which makes for
a VERY VERY rough ride.The good side of the tires are very good in the mud,rocks snow,
hill climbing,or even if your center bound the side nobs help a lot,trust me.You do need a lot
of motor power and tourqe to get the boggers spinnin' good enough to clean out the tread.I
bought my 97 S-10 in June of 97 lifted it up a year later 98,Ran boggers since.So far I've
bought 6 sets because the way I drive on road, need another set as of this moment.Expensive
also,Right at $800 for a set mounted and balanced.Looks awsome and for the off-roading I DO
its just what I need.

LIL ZILLA SAYS HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-2028-Zilla16.jpg (17.4 KB, 19 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 05:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

swamper radials should be great for the mud and clay and good for rocks if yoou let a little air out . the tread life on the radials are good better than a bogger . i run radials and there the best i have owned.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 12:27 PM
Addict

Never mix & match tread designs, ever. It is unsafe & anyway you do need to rotate your tires every 5,000 if you want them to last at all. 4WD's wear the front weird anyway, so to get any life you have to rotate them correctly. Also, TSL has an SX tire that has a different compound for rocks & stuff. Some of the sizes are even 8 ply. Go to www.natltire.com/pages/swampers.html or to www.tyres1.com. They have tire sizing charts, rim size recommendation, & the best price you can get them for anywhere. You can get a 31-10.50R-15 in a SSR for $129 ea. You should really consider the BFG MT's though. I have known people at a tire store I used to work at to get 65,000 mi on them on a full-size truck. I have AT's on the 89 & have 35,000 on them & you can't see even 10,000 of wear on them. You can go to Sears & get 33 or 35-12.50-15's for $149 ea & get good free lifetime rotate & balance service forever! I went to Montgomery Wards & got my BFG AT 31x10.50's for $92 ea. I get them rotated every 5,000 & rebalanced for free, forever! That was like $402 total. I have had them for over 3 years and they look brand new. Also, there is always a Sears in every town if you are at a Mud Jamborie & slit one or something. Rememeber that these tires have a 3 ply sidewall instead of two. And it really does'nt sound like you need that aggressive of a tire either. Good on highway & off-road. 60,000 mi vs. TSL 20,000? Seems like a no brainer unless you really need a tire like that. But as everyone says, that motor will need some serious massage to turn them full of mud. Ask anyone with TSL's or look at them with miles on them & talk to the truck owner. They all say the same thing & you can see it with your own eyes. The outer lugs always wear funny & the tire shakes & wabbles at highway speeds from the strange tire wear. The design causes them to wear uneven because of the awesome design of the lugs on the outside. I've been looking at them myself and talking to owners about them. If you street a lot it just doesn't seem worth it. But, if you have the money for them, go for it! I think they look kick ass & they do pull like Haites. When they are new or in good shape, I think they are the best looking tire around. Remember the road noise aspect too. It's not just noise at all. When you have vibrations that are that aggressive it works on everything like mirrors, electronics, & stuff. Things will work loose and give you fits with an over aggressive street tire. Also, people say they are not real good in the rain on the street either. Imagine riding a dirt bike on payment in the rain. You are riding on those aggressive lugs with not much of a contact patch to hold the road.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone heard any good or bad things about the Goodyear Wrangler M/DR? I am considering getting some of these for my '89, as the Sport Track sidewalls are dry-rotted. I am also looking at the Cooper STT. I was quoted a price of $340 for 4 235/75R15's mounted & balanced. I haven't price BFG M/T's yet, but I like them also. A friend got around 60K miles out of a set on a Dakota 4x4 on the highway! Thanks.
A.S.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 12:25 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>If you mean the MT/R, I've heard only second hand news. Supposedly a really good sidewall for a radial, 'course that means little if you don't spend much time scraping sidewalls on rocks. Friend of mine who switched from BFG M/T's to Goodyear MT/R's says, "the jury is still out" - meaning he isn't 100% sure he did the right or wrong thing by switching. They're VERY expensive.

BTW, on 235/75's it's common for tire makers to make both a P235/75R15 and an LT235/75R15. I'm pretty sure that's the case for the STT's as well as BFG's. The "P" version will be cheaper, but will have a lower load rating. Shouldn't be a problem on an S-10 ("P" metrics are standard on most full-size 4x4's these days), but it is possible that they won't last as long as the "LT" version (couldn't tell ya since I've always had larger tires that only came in the "LT" version). 'Course if you save 25% & they last 75% as long, you come out even anyway.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 02:32 PM

A lot or racing research has gone into Goodyear lately on their off-road tires. The main reason is that the sidewalls could never stand up to the task, like the BFG's were. So perhaps they are a lot better than before.

I do remember seeing a buddy of mine have to patch a Goodyear off-road tire at least five times in one trip on stupid little sidewall punctures. When he got back he promptly got rid of them and went with his old standby -- BFG...

Goodyear makes some great street tires, but unless I am shown otherwise I won't buy their off-road tires because of puncture failures...

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode