Rancho shocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rancho shocks

anyone ever use the Rancho RS 5000 shocks? I am thinking about puting a set on my Blazer. It sees alot of on-road time so I want to stay on the tame side, but I live in Michigan and the pot holes can get rough. If you have used them let me know your opinion.

92 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Vortec 4.3
85 S-15 Pickup 4x4 2.5 iron duke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rancho shocks

Biggest POS available.. I think you could do better with a metal rod tacked to your frame and axle... Yet im still running them...Till this weekend... I would look into the Rancho 9000's with the adjustability. Also check Bilstein HD's, Black Diamond make good ones and Doechtec (SP?) just came out with a new line. All depends on what type of driveing you do. Me, im a street pounder till the weekends (when my wife lets me go)then I go all out desert running. Thats why im looking into the SAW 2" or Bilstein rebuildable 2" with bypass. A HD shock for its application. If I didn't run the desert I would not be spending $230 bucks a shock. They are a bit pricy but look at Edelbrocks new IAS and Ranchos new position sensitive RSX or something like that. Not a lot of sizes is there only down side I have heard.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:59 PM

For general off-roading Rancho 5000 or RS9000 are pretty good shocks. They are a twin-tube design, so if you spend a lot time 'wheeling with the shock doing a lot of the work, they will fade pretty fast.

BUT if you drive slower, like rock crawling and "normal" highway driving, they do OK.

If you don't have a suspension lift, I would check out Bilsteins. A little stiff, a little expensive, but well worth the money.

Otherwise, look at the RS9000's during a "deal". Like a 4 for 3 offer or something...

Oh, and it's Doestch Tech shocks... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whats that mean- Biggest POS available? Are they too stiff for the highway? again this truck sees alot of highway time compared to off-road. I just want to go one step above the standard monroes or whatever.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

POS means.. Rough on the street and fade within 15 min off-road going 45 MPH for an hr or more. Ether way your kidneys will tell you they suck.. At least for my application...YMMV.....

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 01:44 PM

Like you said, you're going to use the truck mostly on the street. I think that Weazle and I are guilty of being desert runners. The faster we get the more expensive the technology we need.

When I first started wheeling, I was using the RS5000's and they worked OK for what I was doing (moderately slower speeds off-road and a lot of freeway time). Then I moved up to RS9000's and my only complaint was shock fade over long periods of time. But this is when I started working the truck more for speed in off-road situations, and started getting involved in off-road racing. Not quite a racer, not quite a wanna-be [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

So to answer your question, for most highway miles, the Ranchos are good shocks to use, they have a lifetime warranty and are available anywhere, even Sears! And considering that Rancho and Monroe are the same company, with some differences in design, you already have a clue as to how well they are going to perform.

Hope that helps.

My Web Page
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 01:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, heres the deal.... I live in Michigan, we dont do 45 mph off road. Most of our off road time is spent in woods,mud and feilds. 25 mph is realy fast off road for me. and this truck sees mostly on road time. Snow being the exception. So it sounds like the Rs5000 is a good choice above stock type replacement shocks. Right?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 11:22 AM

For the type of terrain you do (not to mention your highway time), I suggest you give them a try. If you don't like them you can always sell them off and go higher on the price chain (RS9000's or something)...

My Web Page
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the HD Monroes (the best ones) on mine. I was told they almost the same thing as the 5000's. Anybody know if that is true? They were almost the same price (but they had a 4 for 3 sale on Monroes) They are pretty stiff, but that is the way I like it. BTW, my back shocks were still good, but I replaced all of them anyhow. It rides rougher (talking about on road driving), but I am willing to give up a little comfort for stability.
Off road they will fade, but around here there is no where to sustain 45 mph very long w/o relocating the suspension all over the trail. Under normal circumstances they hold up well and I like them.

I want to be a follower, but all the leaders seem to be lost.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran the 5000's on my Toy to dampen 36" Ground Hawgs first then TSL's
and thought they were alright but as JR and WeaZ put they are not real
happy screaming thru desert. Most of my time was spent slogging thru
major swamp goo and water, climbing "hills" (giant piles of fill dirt 30-40'
high)running trails filled with gater holes(25mph max) or on the road.
When I get to the suspension I'll probably go with 9000's.

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode