Speed Limiter... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Speed Limiter...

Can anyone tell me off the top of your head what the speed limiter cutoff speed is on a '98 s-10 4x4 std. cab.?

I think I hit it on the freeway playing with a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Uh, well, not really. I was thinking about it though and wondered what would happen if I were to punch it and the engine would cut out on me at a very high speed. You know, it MIGHT be possible if the needle was buried and you could add another 4 mph speedo correction, that it would cut out at about 120? Just a guess. Anyone confirm my, uh, theory? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 09:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Speed Limiter...

I couldn't tell you the limiter speed. As for the engine cutting out, it doesn’t happen like that.
I wouldn't know [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , but I hear that if you hit the limiter you hardly notice it except the fact that you stop accelerating. The only way you would notice it kick in is if you were going down a steep hill. The engine would cut back power trying to slow you down. Nothing dramatic, just more noticeable.

I want to be a follower, but all the leaders seem to be lost.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

But what if I, say, had my foot in it still when it would cut out? There's no way it would max out rpms before it reached top speed. Theoretically(sic) of course...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Purely hypothetical situation.
Disclaimer: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS.

Say someone was driving on a deserted interstate in a vehicle with a 112 mph speed limiter and decided to make some good time. Once the car reached 112 the computer would cut back on power (I’m not sure exactly how this is done, but I think it cuts back the ignition) and if this person were to keep it on the floor for 2-3 miles it would pretty much stay at 112( -2 mph). On slight upgrades it would cut back on power less so you can maintain 112 and on slight down hill grades it would cut back power more to maintain 112. In this situation, the speed limiter is pretty much transparent. It’s like cruising along at 65 mph ‘cept the trees go by quicker.
Now, say that person was to take a vehicle with a 98 mph speed limiter decided to try it out on a pretty steep down hill road. The momentum would carry the vehicle beyond 98 mph and the computer would cut back on power drastically despite the driver having their foot on the floor. Once the vehicle slowed to 98 mph it would again apply enough power to maintain that speed. In this situation the driver would notice the loss of power. It would be like taking your foot off of the accelerator at 65 mph.

Now, doesn’t that sound like a politician speaking?
Presidential election 2020: candidate Sandman vs. candidate Blazer.
I get to be the republican.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

why can't I put plus signs in??? It was susposed to be plus or minus 2 mph.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I think you guys would have to fight over who gets to be the Repubilcan. Based on current results, it's still Demos vs. Republicans. And I don't see Sandman as a Demo...

Thanks for the hypothetical. I think that about explains my situation...

My Web Page
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok running 33's there is no way im going 120 MPH..... I think im hitting my limiter now at spedo says 65, i think im doing about 75. I cant go over spedo 65 at all down hill or any thing. I think it is the limiter but not sure, might be the gears are just tapped out pushing the 33's.?.?. I might try the Jet chip because it removes that limiter. Or save the money to get regeared.... Think that should be first. Any one know how to fix the speedo being off by so much??

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:00 PM

That's what I love about my two non-computerized trucks, the only two speed limiters I have are the mechanical limits of the equipment, and the limits of my courage (or stupidity in the case of driving the 'burb much over 90 even though it handles and rides great at those speeds and gets there insanely fast for a vehicle it's size... Not that I've ever done such an insane thing, however... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])...

Speed limited at 65??? Yikes! That sounds more like a mechanical problem than a speed limiter... That's definitely weird, only an idiot designer would put a 65 mph speed limiter in a truck that will go almost twice that without the limiter [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I don't think you have a regular speedometer cable, do you? I would assume it's just a sensor that tells the computer every so often and it calculates from there. If that's the case about all you could do is get the computer reprogrammed (or there is one product I read about before, not sure who makes it, but it plugs into your computer and your tranny connector I think, and you can adjust this thing to what size tires you have and it makes corrections, as I recall, it also lets you control your shift points, whether you want hard shifts or smooth ones...)...

If I am elected President, all paved roads will be abolished, and we will have to drive everywhere we would like to go off road... There will be several different obstacles on the different roads every 2-4 weeks, just so the same obstacle and road won't get boring... How's that for a political campaign? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think it has to do wiht the 33's and stock gearing.. Some one told me the speed sensor is on the driveshaft or in the tranny counting the yoke turns for its speed but im not sure. There is no mechanical problem with the truck just cant go fast no more once the 33's went on.. I'll do the gears first and see where that takes me...With those tires the engine is really tapping out on RPM's evin in OD im hitting 2800 going reported by spedo 65.. I know im going faster..I say speed limiter because i don't go faster down hill....

All the gas stations will have the monkeys like the old days running out with quick fuel cans, jackin and changing tires and an oil change in 30 seconds... Getting a new job would be fun because you have to pre-run to get there!!

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

I think all you have to do is go pay your money at the GM dealer and they can do the adjustment for you based on tire size. it's a reprogram...

Going out for milk and eggs will require a helment, Parker Pumper, and five point harnesses... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode