2.8 to a 4.3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2.8 to a 4.3

In my 88 Blazer 4x4 I have a oportunity to change my 2.8 to a 4.3, I have a friend that has a 4.3 for sale with a 5 speed transmission, and my automatic 2.8 just doesn`t have enough balls on the high way. so my question is what is involved in this change.I know I would have to get the clutch pedal assembly and possibly change the steering coulom and put in the clutch hydrolics but what about the computer and the wiring under the hood and anything else that is involved in this change that I just can`t think of right now so If i could get some ideas it wold be great

I`d rather push a Chev than drive a Ford
Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2.8 to a 4.3

This will take some time..You need engine and tranny mounts, harness from donar, clutch assembly, complete motor and tranny... Verify the exhaust nmanifold will fit and connect to the old pipes. Verify with your DMV that your swap is legal for smog. Here in CA you need same year or above and all smog equipment that came with the motor. Make sure your cooling system will work well with the larger motor. Take the drive shaft from the donar also.. It will be different length than the one you have now or get yours modified..Can't think of anything else.... Have lots-o-fun......

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 04:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Every thing that you and Troy mentioned and lots of money and time. Not to flame anyone
wanting a 4.3 but, If you look at the 3.4 there are none of the hassles, it is almost a straight
drop in, visualy there it is vurtualy impossable(I only know of one way)to tell the diff from 2.8/3.4
so you don't have to go se the referee and deal with the emissions $hit- if ya don't tell,
they won't know. The 4.3 weighs about 100lbs more than the 3.4 and doesn't get as good mpg.
and here is the kicker the 4.3 is rated at 160hp/230ft-lbs, the 3.4 at 160hp/200ft-lbs.
Not tring to discourage anyone from engine swaps just point the plusses and minuses.
Pros to cons IMHO the slight differance in torque can be made up with minor mods and not
have to deal w/a LOT of B.S.
just my two pennies worth

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let me join in... I have the opportunity to buy a '89 blazer at a great price, but the catch is, it has a blown 2.8. I thought about retrofitting it to a 4.3 and then selling my current '89, but the idea of a 3.4 sounds good! Tell me, do I have to buy the 3.4 as a crate engine or could I take a donor from a Grand Prix? How much money am I looking at spending in the swap? Another concern I have is, would the TV cable off the 700R4 in the blazer hook up to the injection on the 3.4? Personally, I don't think that I would notice too much difference in power between my 4.3 now and a 3.4? Has anyone done this conversion?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Goonee, don't waste your money on a crate engine. You can get a good used low miles 3.4 out of a '93-95 Camaro or Firebird from any number of wrecking yards. Try www.car-part.com for starters. Check the Isuzu BBB at http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/isuzu/ for some good info on 3.4 sources.
You don't want to use the GP motor, it's a totally different breed of cat in the FWD and would require extensive mods to install.

The Camaro 3.4 will bolt right in to your Blazer using all the appropriate 2.8 parts, including the intake manifold, distributor, oil pan, oil pump (but put a new one in), valve covers, timing cover, etc. The '89 2.8 should be new enough to have the correct-balanced flywheel for the 3.4 (the 3.4 is an internally balanced motor whereas older 2.8's are externally balanced and their flywheels won't work with a 3.4).

Bore out the intake to fit a GM 4.3 TBI or Holley Big-Bore TBI and it will run even better. The 2.8 EFI system adjusts pretty well to the larger motor, but it does work better with the larger TBI. You should be able to pick up a used 4.3 TBI pretty cheap. Or the Holley at Jegs for around $315.

Go for it, Dude, the 3.4 is way smoother, and as was said before is much lighter than the 4.3. It's the most bang for the buck out there.....ed

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 01:53 PM

Does any one person want to make a web page story out of this? We get enough questions on the board about the 2.8L to 3.4L vs. 4.3 liter that I think a web page might help for better info..

not flaming the posters about the questions, just trying to help more.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 04:19 PM

An article like that sounds like a great piece for the ORC Chevy page perhaps, considering that there's virtually no stuff up there for the GM S/T trucks... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 07:23 PM

EXACTLY. Anyone doing this swap soon and have access to 'webified' photos and text? Or someone could send in the photos and have the text made up?

My Web Page
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am going to start the rebuild around May
and do the install after that, I can take pics
but they will be on that old stuff they call
film.

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 01:50 AM

heh... hey most of my photos are all on that old style stuff. Makes me wonder how people ever got anything done. You know, having to wait from 2 days to one hour to get their photos back... that could suck...

Sounds good. I can scan them in if you don't have the implements... But we'll talk about that when you get there?

My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode