Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Small Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   How do I narrow my axles??? (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/11755-how-do-i-narrow-my-axles.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 03-20-2000 11:05 PM

How do I narrow my axles???

I'm looking into putting a Chevy Full Size, straight axle on my nissan,
Pros: Leaf Springs, 6 lug, heavy duty
Cons: Wider than the nissan axle, Hog's head on pass. side (engine swap a must)

So my question is, how can i narrow the axles, i heard it can be done.
Any body know how?

**DONOTDELETE** 03-21-2000 01:04 AM

Re: How do I narrow my axles???

Yea, Have them cut to your specs at a rear-end shop.

92 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Vortec 4.3
85 S-15 Pickup 4x4 2.5 iron duke

**DONOTDELETE** 04-22-2000 01:02 AM

Yes, you cut the housings, and axles, but you also have to respline the axleshafts, and move spring perches, and other bracketry. The main thing is its pretty expensive and you have to tear the front IFS of the truck to take measurements and figure out how you will steer it, where to mount spring shackles & mounts, shock mounts, drive shafts driveline angles, everything. Its a very involved process that I am involved in on my 355 truck now. Not for the lighthearted or walleted$$$$$. good luck.
1989 S-10 4x4 355
1989 S-Blazer 4x4 4.3
1990 S-10 Baja 4x4 2.8

J.R. 04-22-2000 12:30 PM

He's right. It can be done, but it will certainly be a cu$tom job.

By the time you're done you'll have spent a lot of money on something that might not work. And if it break, get ready to take out another loan!

Sorry to sound like we're trying to dissuade you from doing this kind of work to your rig, but it just might not be worth your trouble.

But here's something to consider -- you might want to check out the differences in size and also in connectable parts with a Toyota front end. The bearings on especially the V-6 Toyota are way bigger and can provide you a good base for some more minor mods. Just a thought.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page

**DONOTDELETE** 04-22-2000 01:38 PM

hi, depending on what the spline in your axle (i'm assuming the axle you have is for a std half ton) you may be able to get a couple of axles for an s-10 with the same spline, then you would just have to get your axle tubes narrowed. this worked on my old 2wd s-10 pickup anyway.

Ian