Steering Column Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 06:34 PM
Jay

Steering Column Question

How do you remove the case around the steering column? I have an 89 S-15 and I need to get at the signal light but i don't know how to get under the plastic without cutting it? Am i missing something Thanks

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]Damm..I didn't think it was that deep!!!!!!!!<font color=orange>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering Column Question

what signal light is it that you are talking about?? the one in the dash??

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 10:42 PM
Jay

Turn signal/ wiper control arm on the left of the steering column

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]Damm..I didn't think it was that deep!!!!!!!!<font color=orange>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To get the column apart there are about 3 or 4 bolts coming through from the backside. I ran into the samething on mine. I dont know if I can tell you everything from memery or not. Best I remember the keyswitch has to come out, the rod to the dimmer switch has to be disconnected, of course the steering wheel has to be removed. You will just have to kinda feel your way through it but the bolts (screws) come through where it looks like the column is joined together. If you just need to your signal lights switch you just have to remove the steering wheel. If you need to the wiperswitch then you have to remove the whole column.It isnt too bad a job. You have to have the steering wheel lockplate tool though. I am sorry I cant remember the details better but it has been a while since I did that. I hope this will help you. Good luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

pull the horn pad off the steering wheel,remove the nut that holds the steering wheel on use a
steering wheel puller to get the wheel off.Here is the hardest part,the lock plate has a has a
circlip(wire ring) that holds it on you have to hold the plate down to get the clip off. I ripped an
oil filter apart and used the base (the part that threads on)with two 1/4"drive sockets to push
the plate down with the steering wheel nut. Once you get that far its real easy(almost falls
apart) the big white thing is what causes the directionals to cancel there are three screws
that hold it down ,unscrew it and move it to the side. The turn signal stalk pulls out ,after
you pop it out loosen/remove the nuts under the dash that hold the column up, there is also a
curved plate held on with four bolt,need to take this off to pull the new wiring thru the column.
thats basicly it,goes back together in reverse order. hope this isn't to vague and helps.
Later

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 02:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To Change the switch you need to pull the wheel using a puller and u need a plate compressor to hold the plate while you remove the clip, not a hard job if you have the right tools, if you dont it's a beotch! get the right tools. Jason

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 07:35 AM
Jay

Thanks all, Its not like any of my Toys were 4 screws hold the cover on, again thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode