Question about HD torsion bars - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Question about HD torsion bars

Good question and yes no matter what bars you use, cranking them beond factory ride height will reduce the life of the CV joints (increased angles). But has any one come forward with a CV failure because of cranking their bars and running it on the street. Some off road situations (traction, condisions, amount of power added) can in themselves brake or wear an axle/CV so cranking does not matter in off road situations. I have seen broken t-bars because of over cranking and heavy use. Remember there must be a weak link in the driveline. Do you want it to be the CV or the ring gear when your out on the trail. Me, I can disconnect the other side if needed and still get home. Broken ring gear, good luck getting out of where you are.. Unfortunatly we (S-10ers) are unlucky to have an expencive part be our only week link. With the 3" Rancho lift and running 31's with the medium duty GM bars for 4 years, I never (knock knock) had any problems with the CV's. I do off road hard on ocation. Lifted a rear tire and had a ton-o-weight up front in 4wd and it pulled without a prob many of times. I dont think its too much concern on the CV's but the ball joints and hub bearings are a hole other thred......

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 06:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Question about HD torsion bars

After all the recent talk on this page about heavy duty (HD) torsion bars, I've had a question pop into my head. Although HD torsion bars will allow a person to crank up the front up and still have some down travel (as compared to the stock t-bars) won't cranking the front end still lead to CV joint wear regardless of what torsion bars are used? That is, the angle on the CV's gets messed up either way. Maybe the added down travel with the HD's helps protect the CVs from the really hard jolts., but it still seems that it couldn't be good to max out the angle on CVs like that (unless of course a person doesn't mind paying to have them replaced regularly). Of course, it might be that the CVs can handle more extreme angles w/ no problems. If someone could enlighten me on this subject I would greatly appreciate it.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 01:28 PM

Re: Question about HD torsion bars

no matter what you do, changing the angle from the axle flange to the spindle is going to cause extra wear on a CV joint. The HD torsion bars are effective because they change the spring rate to soak up more of the bump and won't let you bottom out as fast.

Any new torsion bar set up is going to be higher than your stock application (assuming you set the bolts to the same point as stock). They will, in time, settle a little bit and will give you a better, stiffer ride...

I had the bars on my old '90 Toyota and they were great. I'm sure that the CV were about to go, but for the time being they "NEVER" made me bottom out, and I rode that truck pretty hard... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode