add a leafs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

add a leafs

Im seriously thinking about getting my torsion bars replaced with some new ones suggested by WeaZle. I will probably crank them down for an extra 2". A friend of mine said i would need to get a good set of add a leafs for the back to level my truck out or possibly some longer shackles.
I would really like some of your opinions on this subject.
Hopefully i will have my 3" body lift on in the next 2 weeks.
Thanks for you time.

If i only had a brain!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: add a leafs

I have no idea how the HD torsion bars would work up front, but I'd reccomend getting an add-a-leaf over the extended shackles for the back. The extra leaf spring will not only raise the back, it will also stiffen up the suspension so you have a reduced chance of your back wheels bottoming out when going over large bumbs (nice if you get larger tires or offset rims). Of course, the drawback is stiffer suspension for every day driving. Also, you might want to check and see if the shocks you have now will still work if you give your vehicle the slight suspension lift.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 05:10 PM

Just my opinion, but I have issues with add-a-leaf systems. IF you want to go about it the right way, you can always get some extra spring packs or maybe even go through National $pring or Deaver for a new set to raise your truck.

I just feel the add-a-leaves, from what people have shown, are so hit and miss. I hear about how great they are, and then I hear about how they break under strain. I think they were designed more as an extra overload spring for when you are hauling heavy loads.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with JR... Get some springs from Deaver or National. Save up for it, $300-500. It would be a good match for the front SAW bars and give a really good ride. The AAL will be a stiffer ride and a shackle will give the ride height but will create problems with the pinion angle and having to shim it and a quicker death to your stock leafs.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode