2.8 TBI engine lacking power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2.8 TBI engine lacking power

I have a 1987 S-10 Pickup, there just no umph left in it. It has a 2.8L TBI engine in it with 87,000 miles on it. I put in new spark plugs and new airfilter in about three weeks ago but that didn't help much. I even flipped the airfilter top upsidown but didn't help much other than in the hihger RPMs. Im gettting poor gas milage-about 10-12 mpg. My zero to sixtytime is the same as my quarter-mile time whitch is 19.75 sec. It's got no balls. Hekp me out, Please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 01:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2.8 TBI engine lacking power

The O2 sensor is the first thing I would change. Change the cap and rotor if you haven't done so in a long time.
The 2.8 has no balls, the milage is way too low though. That's why I say the O2 sensor.

Global Warming? F*&% the grandchildren, I'm cold now!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It could also be a problem with the exhaust system; either the muffler or the cat clogged up. The cats are notorious for doing this. If you want to get more out of the 2.8, you need a larger exhaust anyway. It might be a good excuse to go to a good local muffler shop and have a new 2-1/2" dia cat and exhaust installed. I had a fairly quiet turbo muffler installed on mine, it has a nice growl to it but doesn't resonate going down the hiway. Good Luck...ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 05:16 PM

Here are a few things I can guess about your motor...
1.) It's old and may need some major work. Are you blowing oil away at a fast rate? Valves knocking all over the place? When did you have the valves adjusted last?
2.) you have improper gearing on larger tires. Especially on the smaller v-6's, and four cylinders, putting larger tires on a stock set of gears is going to rob you of power...
3.) I would check to see if you can have your injectors cleaned. They have a cool solution they run through the EFI and it works wonders. I don't know how many folks in your area do it. You just have to look around.

Anything I'm missing here?

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It keeps it oil really well, but i've never had rockers or valves checked.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check your timing, and if possible ad a little advance. i woke up my 85 this way but not by much. while your in there check wires,cap,rotor. exhaust is a good idea also, have somone rev the truck while you are at the tail pipe. the exhaust should flow out fast if it feels weak or it stops coming out (worst case) the cat is starting to clog up. Dynomax makes a nice cat back system for these trucks. jegs has the one for my blazer for 86.99 plus shipping. and the cat can be had at any exhaust shop or aftermarket(like jegs) cheap. i hope this all helped out.
Salamander

1985 S-10 Blazer

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2000, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with 88Blazer, check your 02 sensor. Definitely check your cap, rotor, and plugs also. Is your coil ok? (Plug wires?)

Is it running warm also? If so, the Catalytic conv. would be the next thing to check. (I would say to check your fuel filter, but your mileage is so poor... a clogged fuel filter will definitely slow you down.)

Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode