1992 Blazer ABS/Brake Failure - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1992 Blazer ABS/Brake Failure

Am experiencing brake problem in which on dry ground, normal brake application activates ABS. ABS reacts as if all wheels are skidding and dumps allmost all presure to the brakes resulting in 90%-100 of braking action. Very exciting, especially for my wife. Brakes work fine every time after I deactivate the ABS. Wheel ABS sensors check OK, also no trouble codes in computer. Is this a common problem, is there a recall, what's the cure. Can't believe that they make a system where an ABS problem can cause complete loss of braking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 04:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1992 Blazer ABS/Brake Failure

I recently got a recall for the ABS brakes in my 96' S-10 truck. The letter said that when my ABS kicks in on something slick (like snow or even a pothole) and the truck then continues onto a dry surface, the ABS will continue working as if the road were slick, thus decreasing braking ability. I don't know why your ABS would be kicking in on dry pavement, though, unless you were really slamming on the brakes. In any case, I'd definitely reccomend taking your truck down to the local Chevy shop and seeing if it qualifies for the ABS recall. If it does, the re-program might remedy the situation.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2000, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What action did the recall requie to correect the problem. My understanding is that so far they have only recalled 93-99 vehicles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 95 Cavalier, and it also has the ABS brakes .. you know what I found caused my car to activate the ABS, was that the brakes were dying. Replace the brakes, and its fine again. You might wish to check your brakes at a brake shop nearby.

I took my car to the local Chevy-shop, and they said "can't find nothing wrong, no codes, no problems" ..they didn't even peel the wheels off of the car!

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The correction just involves hooking your truck up to a computer and re-programming the software on your trucks computer. Probably wouldn't take more than a few minutes. I don't know personally because when I took my truck in, they said that my certain model didn't have the problem. Makes me wonder why they still sent the letter. Also, it could be very true Chevy only recalled 93 models. I know the local dealer here had a list of all makes and models which were recalled, but I never bothered looking at it.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 05:12 PM

There was supposed to be a specific year range they recalled the brake systems. From what I know it was up to 1996. Maybe what they are referring to is the level of service required, but I would make damn sure they aren't trying to screw you over.

I would check on the phone with another dealer to see if they have the recall numbers correct... Just my $.00000000002 after gas taxes...

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode