glass pack question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

glass pack question

I bought a cheap glass pack hoping i will blow it out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. And that i am installing it I can't get the old muffler off [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. And now I am stuck with the same thing. Any tips on getting it off?

Rossco<-GMC man![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
"Ouch", Ross after hitting snowbank at 35mph and flying! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 10:49 PM

Re: glass pack question

I had to just take a set of chisels and cut the mounting flange off. I didn't have an air compressor and air hammer at the time I put my glass pack on my little truck, so it was a major pain in the backside... I'd say it's worth it for me at least though.. Sounds "interesting" now.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

kool, i tried a hammer and chisel, almost worked. I think it's to borrow my dads angle grinder [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. I can't wait to here it now [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
If i remove my cat too, how to i get rid of my check engine light?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

"Ouch", Ross after hitting snowbank at 35mph and flying! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 12:34 AM

Well, what I'd do about the check engine light would be pull out the bulb, but that wouldn't solve the problem (except the probem that it's irritating to look at)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I've not had much experience messin' around with check engine lights or computers in vehicles, and that kind of crap... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 12:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with sandman when it comes to the service engine light. When i bought my truck stock two years ago the light was on and i tried chasing codes and changing sensors but i could never get rid of it and now it is quite a ways from stock and the light is still on(it don't really bug me) the way i look at it is that i know when my truck is not running right i don't need a light on the dash to tell me that. Thats why i have ears!!:-)
so i'd say pull the cat you will be happy
have fun
nick

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 09:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm going with the dynomax system for mine with a 2 1/2 cat. pennsylvania keeps upping thier smog laws so i gotta keep the cat. What year is your truck that you are worried about a check engine light? i have an 85 s-10 blazer and i don't even think i have a computer on it(this is based on the fact that every vacuum line on the truck isnt where its supposed to be) i know that if you play with anything 95 newer (OBDII) you'll trip a code. i had taken the cat off of my wifes 89 z-24 a long time ago and had no computer problems. Tim what was the altenator belt you had used to bypass your air pump?

1985 S-10 Blazer

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 02:23 PM

Actually a friend of mine that used to have a 91 S10 with the 4.3L fuel injected, we took the cat, busted out the insides, and put it back on so it still looked like he had a cat on there, and a check engine light never came on as a result of that...

I haven't bypassed the air pump yet... I didn't want to mess with it at the time (all I did was unhooked the air tube from it so I figure it's drawing no power at all because it's not compressing any air, it flows in and flows out with no restrictions on it anyway, plugged the AIR manifold things in the exhaust tho) (however sometime this week I'll probably go back and remove that thing, and get the part number for the belt I use for it... )

Tim
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my truck is and 88 gmc T-15 jimmy. Got the pack on today and man it sounds alot better [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. I love glass packs. I wish i had duels though [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
I went off road to test it out and i got pics of the after math. I'll post 'em later tonite.
Chao

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let me know. I figure i will disconnect mine until inspection time then reconnect it when i need it. mine runs all the time and is useless anyway.(passed emmisions by the skin o its teeth)

1985 S-10 Blazer

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2000, 01:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea, I like glasspacks too! Thinking about headers and duals for 89 4.3 4x4 s-15 jimmy. Wondering how much increase in power this would make? Wondering how dual glasspacks would sound? It might be too much noise though? Enjoy those glasspacks. Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode