Which Starter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which Starter?

i just stuffed a set of headers on my already crampted engine compartment and now when the starter heats up it will not start untill it cools down i tried putting a heat sheild in there but it still does the same thing. So i was wondering if anyone knew of a performance starter for a 2.8 that would work better when hot? If anyone has a suggestion please let me know
thanks for any help you can give.
nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 11:09 PM

Re: Which Starter?

My suggestion(s) for you is either to get a ceramic coating on the headers (like JetHot Coatings) or get some header tape (not sure if that's what it's called, but it's heat resisting tape that you put on the headers to help keep the heat away from your starter. No starter works particularly well when it's hot... So I figure if you could keep it cool in the first place you'll be happier...

How do those headers work? Did you gain any power/torque? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just ordered a firberglass heatsheild with a heat refelctive coating from jc whitney i hope that in combination with the sheetmetal in between the two will cool it down enough to get me going when i stop for short periods of time. They also have a silnoid relocator that might help but i will give this a try. I did not even think about the tape for the headers i will look in to that.

as for the headers they work great i did notice more tourqe on a start and the best parts is the sound!!! I have them dumping into dual 2 1/4 in" dual flowmaster they sound great!! (the cam and other motor mods help too but... now it breaths great) i am very happy with them.
thanks for your ideas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 12:22 AM

A heat shield will help you out a lot. My buddy had the same problem with custom headers on his 350. Add to that, he had a vapor lock problem because of the heat from the intake would choke the carb out...

We made him fix it real quick. Got sick of all the cigarette breaks! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You Should put header wrap on all your headers, It will reduce engine compartment temp greatly. You gotta cool that muther. Jason

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

And keep any moisture in so they will rust them out in 3 years. Least thats what I heard. Get them jetcoated.... Buddie did that on his CBR headers and looks really nice.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 01:49 PM

But it's a little expensive. In the long run it would be worth it, but it still is expensive.

And yes, I've also heard that it will hold in moisture and rust them out a bit.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode