Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Small Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   The truth about performance accesorries? (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/11695-truth-about-performance-accesorries.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 03-10-2000 01:28 PM

The truth about performance accesorries?

The other I asked a local muffler shop how much a flowmaster setup would run for my S-10. A salesman quoted me about $175, which seemed reasonable, but then went on to say it wasn't worth it. He said he had read an article where people had dropped a power chip, air intake system, and high flow exhaust system into and S-10 (total cost $500 ) for a gain of only about 20-25 horsepower. After seeing how little of an effect my K&N filter had, I was inclined to believe him. I have no idea what magazine the article was in, but I'm wondering if anyone out there agrees/disagrees with this salesman's opinion?. I was debating getting a high flow muffler, but if all I get is a 10 or so gain in H.P., then I'll save my money for larger tires and a re-gear!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Steven Fairchild [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <font color=green> 96' S-10 4x4 </font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 03-10-2000 01:34 PM

Re: The truth about performance accesorries?

My k&n showed me a decent increase. I would tend to think (theoretically at least) that the better it breathes, the better it runs. My truck is an '88 S-15 with a 2.8, so it might be a different situation. Those Edelbrock TES offer like 20-25 extra horses...... dunno if that helps, but good luck

Later,
MeatLoaf

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/8071/ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE** 03-10-2000 01:45 PM

These performance upgrades are not made to give you 100's of HP by turning a screw unless its a turbo, supercharger, or nitrus. Don't believe what they say on the box either. They will help performance to some extent and in different parts of the powerband. That K&N might not have been real noticeable crusing around town but you start running up in the 4000 rmp level you might notice more power. Another tip with the K&N is to drill more holes in the airbox. Let more air in there. Make sure you drill them on the intake side. Modified exhaust is a real help on getting all that air out quicker. I have no idea why a muffler salesman would turn bussiness away and say its not worth it. If this his normal practice, he aint going to be in business much longer. Tell you what. I have a few of those 'Performance mods' your talking about. Lets goto the track and see who finishes first. Remember HP is HP........ Got any Q's about them ask away...... :~)

(Not intending to bag or discredit you in any way..)

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty94 GMC Sonoma X-Cab(ZR Schmoo)Black, 3" Rancho suspension, 2" body, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT's on Centerline HT cast 8", Sway-A-Way HD Torsion Bars, Flex-a-lite elec fan, Edelbrock headers W\ high-flow cat & Flowmaster 3 chamber, custom bent all the way, Jacobs Milage Master Ultra Team , K&N Filtercharger IPK II, Pulled bed sides 3" & Prerunner bumpers front & rear & cage in bed.

The_Sandman_454 03-10-2000 02:54 PM

When I threw the K&N on my 454, I noticed a pretty good seat of the pants (not to mention tire spinning power) increase. power chip, exhaust and that stuff isn't going to give you all that much power, unless it's in conjunction with more compression, a different cam profile (more lift, duration, etc...), different intake manifold, and/or that type of thing... After you do that stuff, you will likely need to get a different chip for it so that you get a new fuel and ignition timing profile in there to get the most out of your other upgrades...

Tim
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's

**DONOTDELETE** 03-10-2000 04:45 PM

If you can get 20-25 hp from that motor for $500.00 that would be money well spent. I had a 94 camaro and changed the exhaust for about $125. that was a good move. K&N cold back filter injection, $300.00 picked up power on a cold day LOST power on a hot day. The filter was placed under the front of the car drawing the air right of the road. If it was a hot day hot air, no good for power. If it was a cold day lots of power. For the S-10 I believe the K&N filter pack puts the filter in the engine compartment, hot air. Jet stage II module, $300.00 lost 3hp on the dnyo with it, tried two diff mod. each performed the same. Power pulleys, $50.00 GREAT MOD, may wear out your alt and batt faster. Auburn rear end and 3.73 gear from 3.23 GREAT MOD $$$.

I also had a 99 GMC Siera changed the exhaust picked up a little power, but the sound alone made it worth the money. I also change to a K&N Filter, no noticeable power gain.

I know the camaro and the S-10 are diff vehicles but I wouldn't believe the promises you get from the ads. I have a 99 4X4 Sonoma now and have not done anything to get more power from that vehicle.

**DONOTDELETE** 03-10-2000 05:58 PM

What was the Stage 2 chip in?? I have been wanting this for a while. I had the 6-pack but had problems with it cutting out and was thinking on getting the Stage 2. When the 6-pack worked it felt like more power. If you lost HP I might not get it.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

**DONOTDELETE** 03-12-2000 10:13 PM

the camaro, I even went to there shop, I used to live about 2 miles from JET. They did not have a good name in the local area. I guess the used to be big in the carb. market.

J.R. 03-13-2000 03:22 AM

The truth, my friends, is in Marketing.

"OK, so we get an extra 150 hp, but the engine, it's sure to blow up after 5 miles..."

"Wait, we can get 150 hp? We'll sell a million of 'em!" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page