My Balls are Shot!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2000, 01:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Balls are Shot!!!

I just bought a new upper and lower set of Moog ball joints. Has any one changed their ball joints on a 4x4 s-10? How difficult are the lower ones to get out? are they pressed in? Do you need a special tool to remove them? If anyone can walk me through this it would be apreciated. Thanks Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2000, 01:40 AM

Re: My Balls are Shot!!!

If I'm not mistaken they are press in with rivets. If they have never been changed before, you will need to drill out the rivets, and use a hand press to get the joints out.

Once that is done it's all cake from there. Haynes, Chilton's or Factory manuals have pretty good steps on how to get them changed out for your truck.

Good luck.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2000, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an 89 S-10 4X4 and have put new lower ball joints in twice and uppers once. It is a pretty straightforward procedure. Like JR said a book will be of enormous help to you for torque values and hints and tips. I will try and remember the main things I had to do. I may not remember everything as it has been a while and I work on a lot of vehicles. First of course the tire will have to be removed. Now would be a good time to break the front axle nut loose. Then take off the brake caliper. If you are replacing all the ball joints you can just use a ball joint fork to break them apart after loosening the nut on the bottom of the joint. If you were going to put them back then that require a different tool so you dont mess up the rubber grease cup. After breaking both joints loose I finish removing the axle nut and pull the spindle assembly out. I guess you could take the tie rod loose if you like but I never have had to. Then the rivets have to be drilled out or ground off. Then just knock the joint out with a hammer. I assembles in the reverse of this procedure. The bolts that hold the joints in dont tighten very tight to the best of my memery. If you need any torque values leave me a message and I will look in the book and look them up for you. I think they give you the values in with the ball joints you bought though. Well good luck. I hope this will be of some help to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Job completed: I Just replaced my ball joints and man! what a difference. both lowers were bad uppers were still ok, but I replaced them anyway. The steering is much tighter. overall better control and smoother ride. It was a pain in the ass if you dont have the right tools (as with most jobs). We had air tools (ratchets, impact wrench, air hammer, die grider.) Had to borrow a puller for the hub. and had to buy a 38mm axel nut socket. but, once we actually got to the ball joints, ground off the rivets with a die grider. used a air hammer to punch out the rivets and poped out the ball joint. that was the easy part.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2000, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the follow up.
Sounds like you did it right by replacing all of them!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2000, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have a 2 or 4 WD????? And who's ball joints did you use to replace? Stock, Moog, other?? Did you really need to remove the hub assembly??

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2000, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well I replace the uppers with Moog and the Lowers with mcquay-norris because carparts messed up and sent me moog lower ball joints for my 4x4 that were built for a 2wd so I had to run to my local auto parts place and buy mcquay-norris lowers and returned the wrong lowers to carparts.com Simple to return for store credit. Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode