What would you do with the extra space... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

What would you do with the extra space...

Well, since I removed a lot of the emissions crap including those cannisters that mount in the lower part of the inner fender/core support junction area in the front of the truck, I've been trying to figure out what to use that space for. I'm thinking of bolting an ammo can (the kind with the rubber o ring so it's water proof) in that place, and using it for a tool box, since there's not that much room in the standard cab. I figure it'll help out somewhat at least... I guess my question is: "Have you got any interesting ideas/thoughts/suggestions on what you would do with that extra space? I was thinking an additional battery, but I have nothing in that truck that would even remotely require more than one battery.

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 03:25 AM

Re: What would you do with the extra space...

If you plan on putting a lot of electronics inside or outside of the truck, like lights and CB's and stuff like that, you could make a good electrical box to put all the relays and fuses in. Then all you have to do is run a hot line and some switches to the cab...

The ammo can idea is all good. As long as you don't have to open your hood in front of police all the time [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]... "say there, son... What you got there in the box? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING!??" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That relay box is a good idea! How does your truck run with all that emmisions crap dissconected? i want to get rid of most of mine seeing how as a lot of my vacumm lines were routed wrong(purchased it that way)I live in pennsylvania(philadelphia)and the smog nazi's hammer us pretty hard. I had wanted to get rid of most of the emmisions, But keep the egr on a ported temp switch. maybe rig it like the way they did on my nova(bone stock w/emmisions)I'm upgrading to the 3.4 from a camaro and don't want to spend weeks figuring all that vacuum lines out.(seeing how im using one week of vacation time to do it)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

The relay box seems like a very good idea... I was thinking about getting some more lights and that kind of stuff... Sounds like a better plan than the way I usually do electrical stuff: don't bother with relays, just run full power through the cab and through the toggle switch... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'll probably do that.. Actually I probably have room for a few different ideas in there... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The truck runs great! Much better than it did before. My main problem was caused by the AIR system, so I got rid of that stuff, and unfortuneately, I couldn't get the AIR manifold things out of the exhaust (bolts froze in, I even tried heating them up and letting them cool back down several times, tried Liquid Wrench, CRC, flare nut wrenches to avoid rounding them, and still couldn't get them out of there,) so I went to the store and got some 1/2" pipe caps, and after removing those check valve thingees on the AIR manifolds, put the pipe caps on there. It looks weird, but it works good (until I finally feel like cutting those off and just welding it shut...). I left my EGR in place, but have no air going to it. All the other vacuum ports that aren't necessary, I plugged. It runs 100% better than it did before, and there's more room under the hood too... Pretty soon, I think I am going to eliminate the AIR manifold devices, to get more room to access the spark plugs, but other than that the project is about done (I didn't feel like swapping intakes like I had originally planned, so I just ignored that stuff). It used to backfire a ton on deceleration (well anytime you'd take your foot off the gas) and that kind of stuff.. None of that at all anymore. It wouldn't pass emissions I'm sure, because the previous owner also saw fit to eliminate the cat (I'm not complaining about that, it's just my excuse in case the smog nazis come knocking on the door [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])... But runs much better than before...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Put in a V-8, You'll see even better performance.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I wish I had found about $5k along with the extra space I found, because then I'd have a V8... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 12:22 PM

You sort of lucked out by location. I Cali, in order to sell a vehicle to anyone, you will need to get a smog check certificate before you sell it. It has to pass the emissions test.

Now if you do it through different channels...

Sandman, I personally think the EGR system is one of those things better left on. The EGR will reduce your overall engine temperature by a considerable amount. Just a thought.

My Web Page
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I think the EGR is stuck closed anyway on mine, and I couldn't get a wrench in there to take it off anyway, without at least removing the distributor shaft, but I didn't like that idea... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] How would I go about making the EGR work only when the engine heats up (or whenever it's supposed to kick on, I'm not even sure when it's supposed to be open)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] That would have to suck to have to get all the certificates and crap like that before you can sell the vehicle... Seems like it's violating your right to do what you'd like, persuit of happiness and all that stuff that doesn't exist anymore... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 12:30 PM

It's better than the old way. Sell car, go to smog, fail. Scream. referee. Bigger fee.

Luckily I've never failed a test I couldn't handle...

My Web Page
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Perfect spot for the ARB compressor running your lockers front and rear. How close is it to the exhaust manifold?? Bracket in two cooking grills that clasp together. Place a coupla hot dogs in there for them long trips. Mmmmmmmm smell them cookin on the way to Vegas.... Then the cops will pull ya over. What you got in there?????

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode