how many ponies can a 2.8 make???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how many ponies can a 2.8 make????

i dont currently have a 2.8 but, I used to have one in my 91 s-10 untill i rolled it 3 times going 55 mph. ouch!! I know bone stock it made 120 hp. It was a smoother running, better mpg engine than the 4.3 but with some modification how much could you get out of it? sounds like meatloaf has a project like this under way? anyone know? jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 12:19 AM

Re: how many ponies can a 2.8 make????

I've heard of mildly modified 2.8L (173cid) V-6s getting 136 HP. My stock 1986 Jeep Cherokee's is rated at 115HP/4800RPM and 145lbft.Torque/3500RPM [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 03:30 AM

You must be talking about pre-'93 motors. From what I understand they had the same vibration problems as the 350 v8...

My V6 runs rather smooth ('98, bone stock).

I think you're only going to max out at about 150 hp. Then you are going to lose a lot of torque in the process. I had a buddy of mine who took his 4x2 that route on his Blazer and he through in a new exhaust from the headers back and slapped in a new Edelbrock intake manifold. Coupled with a freer flowing air cleaner and he made out pretty good. I just don't know (and neither does he, I'm sure) of what his final HP rating was...

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 09:45 AM

You could always run a nitrous bottle on there (either for you so you can laugh at the lack of torque and higher hp easier, or for the engine to try and make more power with it) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 12:28 PM

I can see it now...

"A little for you!"
"A little for me!" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I do not have first hand knowledge of this but according to the CHEVY POWER MANUAL
(chevy factory tweek book)"production blocks used in SCORE/HDRA routinely produce
over 270hp" and "60deg racing engines with production cylinder heads are capable of
producing over 1.5ponies per cube"(259.5) ,thats not to shabby for a engine that weighs
half of what a s.b. tips the scales at.

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 09:23 PM

Put in a Flat 4 from a VW Bug![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Thou seriously, I was reading a book on how to build Hi-Po VW Bug engines and it said there were some drag racers getting 1000 HP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] out of those little engines.

--Drew
83 S10 Ext Cab
[email protected]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, Im working on an '88 2.8 V-6. It makes around 150hp as it is. Im gonna cam it out and put on the 4.3 Throttle body. i have a 4" intake system in place right now, and it breathes into a K&N. I took out the pcv system, and made sure that the crankcase could breathe (i used an aftermarket breather from a VW Bug). i tried to remove the airpump, but the Oxygen sensor is mounted below the manifolds (as you know) and the computer tuned it to run way rich for some reason. If you start playing with the vacuum system, make sure you know what does what and that you have enough vac. caps. I unhooked the EGR, and it has yet to have an effect. leave the MAP sensor if you want the thing to run right. I am planning to do further mods soon, and i'll keep you guys updated. i do everything myself, so if you have any questions e-mail me at [email protected]

also check out the info on the TBI swap at http://208.35.16.5:81/$WEBMSG.Read.ITOG-2.6783

Later,
MeatLoaf

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert/8071/ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode