87/88 S15 Jimmy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

87/88 S15 Jimmy

Hey I got a couple questions for you guys.A friend of mine has a 87/88 [not sure] Jimmy it is automatic,4.3 T.B.I,3" body,32" mudders[yes they rub a bit] and I was wondering what this came with for running gear? Is it a 10 bolt in the rear,700R4 tranny,transfer case,front end?He is interested in a solid front axle swap as lift kits cost about $2000 [CDN$] without install and was wondering if anybody around here has tried this on a S10/15.What would be a good front axle to use my thoughts were dana 44[shortened]but that's big $'s what about something from a Jeep,maybe Scout/old Bronco or dare I say it a Toy front axle.One last question anyone know what gears his Jimmy might have?[87/88,4.3,auto,stock had 235's and gypsy package]Any info appreciated,I'm hoping to help him turn his rig into a great trail machine as it seams to hold alot of potential besides the front end[eats C.V joints].

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 87/88 S15 Jimmy

Also it seams to have a limited slip in the back,does anyone have any info on what exactly this is?[Posi type thing]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 03:56 PM

You probably won't want the Toy axle due to birfields (expensive to replace compared to $8 u joint)... They are basically the same strength, from what I've heard, but the expense of birfields is the downside to the Toy axle... Oops, I didn't realize you'd know more about those than I do... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It probably had 3.73's or something like that.. The best way to tell would be to pull the rear differential cover and read the fraction on the ring gear... It either had an NP207 or NP231/NP233 for a transfer case.. The 207 isn't apparently as desireable as the other two choices. There should be a tag on the back of the transfer case with the model of the case, and the low range ratio. If it's a 4 speed automatic transmission, it will be a 700r4.. The front end should be 7.2" ring gear. I was thinking about a Jeep front axle, but I haven't found out much about them, like how far apart the spring pads are, and things like that. The front end is weak and most likely wouldn't hold up to a locker very well at all... The posi type thing in the rear would be a Gov-Lok (I believe) and when they get older, sometimes have a reputation for grenading themselves under stress (like when you get one wheel spinning and it suddenly decides to lock up, it could hurt itself...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well when all said and done can I have your IFS when you rip it out?? I'll find a way to pay shipping or pick it up. IM working on a long travel setup with a Dana 44 cut down and need the stock IFS to work from. Need to drive my truck in the mean time. BTW i think they all came with 3.73 but look at the tag on the axle to be sure. It is the small 7 5/8 ring/carrier. Not strong at all..

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was thinking of maybe something from a Jeep,but I'm not sure what the hell they had for frontends.The dana 44 would be awesome but I think the dollars eliminate that option as something relativley the same width would save on shortening etc.The real problem with birfields seem's to be that when it goes it is such a bitch to change and can leave you stranded in the worst case of failure.With a 4.3 and 35's I dought he would blow one ever but to eliminate or strengenth the birfields to handle a strong V-8[plans to convert to V8 later on]the price becomes probably equal to a Dana 44 the first time.Another thing is putting a Toy frontend under a Chevy/GMC seem's kinda morally wrong and buddy would do it if it's the only choice but I'm sure would rather see at least a Domestic make of axle.I think I will cruise over to the Jeep board and ask about frontends but I'm sure they will tell me Jeep whatever is the best blah,blah etc.Thanks for the responce none the less and hopefully my buddy won't have to shell out $3000 for I.F.S lift

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode