IFS Lockers & Gears? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IFS Lockers & Gears?

I talked to a counter guy at Four Wheel Parts Wholesellers yesterday about a couple of goodies for my ZR2Y2K Blazer. I've raised it 2" with the Perf. Accessories lift and fitted 33s and raised the transfer case 1"--custom 1/4" skid plates are work-in-process as I type this. The ZR2 came with 3.73s, but it looks like the switch to 33s will require a gear change to 3.97 or so to get back to stock--4.10 is better and common (or so I thought).

Since I tow and wheel, moving to 4.10s seemed like a good idea, and I figured I'd lock both ends and do everything at once (ARB in the 10 bolt rear and Lock Right up front). So far so good?

The guy tells me: 1) there are no gears available for the front diff.; and 2) the diff. is too weak to handle a locker. He said that someone did make 4.10 gears up until a couple of years ago, but they don't anymore. I'm wondering if this is true, and if it is, it seems like someone may have an inventory somewhere, perhaps. The gearing isn't that big a deal, but it would be nice to be lower geared than higher.

Does anyone have any info on availability of 7.2 IFS gear sets?

The bigger issue that I can't figure out is what he told me about the strength if the diff and tie rod. He said that a front locker will bend the tie rod because it's the only thing holding the cv joints in check. This doesn't make sense to me. On a normal straight axle housing, the spindle is held by an upper and lower ball joint the same as an a-arm setup. I don't see why an IFS would be weaker. Not only that, but the tie rod has the idler-arm that would only serve to make the whole thing stronger than a typical straight axle.

Does anyone has any first-hand experience with a front IFS locker?

With the knowledge that floats around on this board, I figured this might be a good place to check--hopefully someone here has experience with a front locker and IFS and/or gearing. Thanks for listening and for the knowledge you guys have shared with me so far....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: IFS Lockers & Gears?

I'm running 33x14.00x15 super swamper boggers with 4.10 front & rearon my 97 S-10 4x4 The gears I have are percision gears,
don't know if they still make them tho.You might check with the chevrolet parts department they should be able to tell you where
to go.As for a IFS locker, trust me DO NOT GET ONE!! You would have the front end tore up in no time.I was wheelin one night
and noticed something was leaking. So I looked under there and to find bearings sticking out of the gear housing.I busted all the
gears and put a 2'' hole in my front gear housing.Big bucks!!!!!!!!!! I figure if you stuck a locker up front that would make it even easier
to tear up.The locker I have in the rear works very good tho.

LIL ZILLA SAYS HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-1585-Truck2.jpg (33.5 KB, 7 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: IFS Lockers & Gears?

Yes you can get 4.10's front and back. Go here: http://www.differentials.com/ Price is $175 used for front, not sure for the 8.5 carrier rear. Dont forget to get the rebuild kits, $100 each end. ARB would be killer in the rear. I also heard that a full locker is not the gratest idea in the front. Try a LS. The 7.2 is not a verry strong axle and can brake a CV when under stress and a locker and 33's. Thats why at some point I will swap in a d-44 and 930 CV's in the front. The best gearing is 4.30's with 33" for our truck but no one makes them. Someone made 4.56 at one time but no longer.
Now you know the mental capacity of the FWPW sales clerk. I think stuffing tacos is over alot of those guys heads. Don't go there unless you need air for a tire or a sticker.
Whats with the transfer case raise?????? And how bad are you rubbing the fenders all around.... Got fixes if ya want them.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode