SWAY A WAY SHOCKS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SWAY A WAY SHOCKS

Has anyone run these sway a way shocks with the seperate reserviors.I wouldn't mind getting a set.I know
that thier kind of expensive but I was wondering if these would fit only in the rear.I would like to have them
in front as well.I'm going to take some action pics of lil zilla in the mud and doing a little rock crawling this
weekend.Should have them up and running this weekend on my webpage.

www.geocities.com/kim30ish/jeffslilzilla.html

LIL ZILLA SAYS HAPPY TRAILS!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 12:53 PM

Re: SWAY A WAY SHOCKS

When I was doing price comparisons between Bilstein reservoirs and Sway-A-Way Race Runners, I was sort of disappointed. I mean, the Bilstein was half as much as the SAW.

Then I realized that you only needed one SAW shock per corner, and two Bilsteins if you went that route. They end up costing about the same (around $230 a piece for the good ones).

I don't know how well they would work on a rock crawler, but I can tell you that they will work awesome at high speed. Kreg Donahoe at Donahoe Motorsports ran these on his old Dodge Trophy Truck and his Chevy Trophy truck (he doesn't race anymore). Granted these shocks were specifically for race applications, but they worked great. He is also a reseller of SAW's.

The other problem you are going to find is that the SAW's come with heim joints only, "I think". You might want to make sure before you go buying them. Bilstein reservoirs might be the same way as well. In any case if you go with heim joints (which I wholly recommend), your mounting questions are sort of moot. You'll have to fab new mounts. You might was well build a hoop that sits OVER the bed and attaches to the frame. Then you can run the bottom mounts somewhere on the axle and through the bed. I had a buddy who put 14-17" travel shocks on his Toyota in this manner and he couldn't believe the difference it made... You'll just have to figure out what to do with the shocks sticking out of your bed if you intend to haul a lot of stuff with you.

Hope that helps.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SWAY A WAY SHOCKS

Yes you can run these shocks in the back . There not made for mud running and rock crawling tho. The are made for 75 on a currigated road. The reason to run them is travel and alot of cycling (movement of the suspention heats up the oil inside so it need a lot of it). At $260 a shock I think you can find something else to run better suited to your terrain. Warn, Doestech, and Bilstein all make good stiff shocks for your application. And at $260 you can get 4 of those.
I am going to run these shocks in the rear at some point. I am redesigning my rear axle leafs and shocks. I have a 3" suspention with a 2" body and im still going to cut into the bed for more room for a 12" travel shock with hoops. My buddie has 14" travel SAW's on the front of his Ranger and Ooohhhhhhh is it smoooooooth in the 3 foot whoops. Rear end is baging around like h*ll because its still stock. He just needs more time and money. Same here......
I have talked with J.R. here on theh list and a few others and at this time there is no way you can run a 2.5" shock up front correctly. Still working on it tho. It just can't fit down in between the a-arm and the CV shaft. Not enough room. A 2" SAW might fit but not sure. The rear end is my next project im starting. The front is still on the back burner till I can get a stock junker frontend to go from. Will keep all posted...

Dont waste your money. They are good shocks but not for your purpose.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode