More Power 4.3 TBI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

More Power 4.3 TBI

I've got a 93 S-10 4.3 TBI 4x4 and I need more power! I have a 2 in lift with 31's and it is dragging in hp. I already put in a K&N filter and Flowmaster exhaust but I can't say I'm too impressed with it. I have heard that headers are the best modification for the most power. I was also looking at the usual chip, egnition, power pullies, etc. but I don't know how well they really work. Does anyone have any hard evidence or personal experience on what the best thing for the most power is? What have you used and can you really feel a diference?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 09:48 PM

Re: More Power 4.3 TBI

Your engine, believe it or not has more than enough power... What you'll need now is to get the differential gears changed... What is your current ratio? Improving the HP isn't going to do it for you, increasing the torque it puts out will... Virtually all the modifications like headers are for higher rpm power... I still think you'd do well to put the money you'd otherwise throw at the engine into getting the differential gears changed. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi, I have a '92 2wd with the 4.3L FI. I'm having 235/75/15's put on tomorrow and am a little worried about power loss. Regearing sounds like a good way to get some power back. Approximately how much would a regearing cost including parts and labor (probably not something I'd want to try doing alone!)? and also, what gear ratios would you recommend?
Thanks- Heath

P.S.- I decided to go with a 2" body lift instead of a 3" when I noticed how many more parts the 3" came with. I'll be installing that during this upcoming week. I know my modifications are minor, but I'll still post some before and after pics once I'm through.

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 11:16 PM

The recommended gear ratio depends on what tire size you have now and what gears you have now... I have 235/75/R15's on my 2.8L V6 powered S15, and it moves itself pretty well (now that I got a decent carb)... A friend of mine had a 4.3L powered S10, and it accelerated great. I don't know what differential ratio or tire size he had... But if you let us know the tire size you now have and the gear ratio, we can help recommend stuff... It's going to cost you a lot less to regear than you would with a 4x4, because with the 4x you've got to get the same ratios done and can't use 4x4 except on a really slick surface otherwise... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Also, just go with the 235/75's for a while and see if the bit of powerloss you get is going to bother you...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 01:56 AM

I'm running 30" BFG on my '98 and the power loss isn't too severe. The problem stems from having to shift down to 4th to pass at 95 mph. Ooops. I don't do that... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The best bet is to talk to someone who does gears for a living. Don't try to do the work yourself unless you have a deep knowlege of it. It'll suck if you mess it up! The idea is that you want to get your gear ratio close to your original ratio. So, say you have 4.10 gears and the original tire was a 21.5" or less, you'll want about a 4.56 ration with 31" tires installed. There are formulae to help you out and I can't think of one right off hand!

Must be late.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 03:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

H B,
Did the same thing you're doing to your 92. I got the rear end code from a GM service manual for the 3.73:1 axle ratio, went to the salvage yard and found the right rear end by looking at the codes in the bottom of the glove boxes of wrecked S-10/15 series trucks (where the vehicle options code sticker is located), picked one best one, bought it for $200.00, took it and my Jimmy to a competent differential shop where it was R&R'd; they also adjusted the brakes, filled it with synthetic oil and test drove it for me ($150.00). I picked it up the next morning and took off for Colorado for a ski trip. From start to finish of project: 24 hours. The results? All I can say is Wow! Made TONS of difference in performance, excelleration and virtually eliminated "gear searching" from 3rd to 4th. It also suprised me how much more "zip" it had in the mountains--especially while going over the higher passess. One benifit I hadn't planned on is a tad better gas milage than before (was running a 3.08 with 235/75 R15's). It takes off effortlessly from stoplights now, it can powerslide around corners (not recommended as raised jimmys can flip) as well as run--and stay--in overdrive at 85 mph. Gearing, gearing, gearing...then do the rest.

Luck and success,

TT

<font color=red>Anything's Possible</font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 03:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I told HB below, Gearing, Gearing, Gearing...then do the rest. If you're running 31's I'd definitely go 4.11 or slighter higher as that ratio and the 31'' tires should make an all-round good, daily-driveable vehicle with street manners. On the other hand, 4.75's would give more off-road performance (stump pulling power) but may be a bit too high for a highway speeds--especially if gas milage is a concern.

success,

TT

<font color=red>Anything's Possible</font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 02:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Regearing front and rear is going to be pretty expensive. What gears do you have? If you have say a 3.08, then the only was to get power back is though gears. If you have a 3.42 or 3.73 and just want your origional power levels back, try http://s10-4x4.com/jam/. There are some pretty good 4.3 power tips on there.
For the 2wd. Call local shops and salvage yards and compare prices. It will prob. be cheaper to find a used rear with a 3.73. There are factory 4.10 out there, but they are most likely in 2.8 trucks. You prob. don't want to take a step backward by putting in a 7 1/2" rear in there. I know the 7 5/8" started in '88 with the 4.3, but does anyone know what the post 88's with the 2.8 had? Was the 4.10 gear ever offered with the 4.3?
BTW, with the 31's and 4.10's at about 75 mph the engine is turning a little under 3 grand. That is with a 700R-4.
If I remember correctly (it would be a first) the lowest gears for the front are 4.10 and the lowest for the rear are 4.56's. Anybody agree/disagree?

Hey Tim, did you ever take care of your rearend?

Just my random incoherent thoughts.

I want to be a follower, but all the leaders seem to be lost.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

True, lowest for the 7.2 IFS is 4.10... DAMN!!!!!!!!! There where at one time someone making 4.56 for the front but they where discontinued.. I have not found them yet... Im kinda good at finding rare things for our trucks but it takes time.. Took me 5 years to find the SAW's....i did find a turbo & manafold for the 4.3 CPI in 3 months.. Only made in 93 but didn't like the setup that much.. and the guy wanted an outrageous price for it..

-Troy <font color=red>'WeaZle' </font color=red> McCarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode