HEL with removing torsion bars! from the cross member what is the trick?? HELP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 01:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEL with removing torsion bars! from the cross member what is the trick?? HELP

My friend and I are installuing a trail master lift in his truck (he bought the lift used so it did not come with instructions) and we can not get the torsion bars off the crossmembers were they are off the a arms he has a 92 s10 pick up
and it is in his farthers shop and it has to be done tommorow this is the secone day on the job and have over 20 in it so far and alls that is left is the torsion bars and button up brake etc. and than make sure every thing is ok! sso pplease help me out i am going to bed shortly and hope sombody has a trick to getting these suckers off! thanks u any help is appreciated!!!!
Andy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 11:54 AM

Re: HEL with removing torsion bars! from the cross member what is the trick?? HELP

According to the Chilton's manual I have cover 1994-1999 (this should be relative to what you have though...

You need to get a "torsion bar unloader tool" to release the tension on the torsion bar adjusting screw. This looks like a C-clamp, basically. I believe it's GM part # J36202 (at least that's what's written in the manual... From what I read a regular C-clamp could work but the potential for mishap is great. BE VERY CAREFUL. It may fly at and hit you at high speed if you don't use the right part.

Remove the adjuster screws

Then move the torsion bar forward and leave it in place.

remove the adjuster arms (where the screws came from).

Unfasten the nut and square washer (raise teh support out of the way) from the retainer then remove the retainer bolts from underneath the frame.

Slide the insulator off the support and remove it from the vehicle.

Disconnect the muffler flange from the converter, loosen the rear exhaust hanger and lower the rear exhaust.

Remove the torsion support from the frame.

Remove the bars from the lower control arms.

Also, I would call Trailmaster and get them to send you some documents through fax or something. Those instructions are very important!

HOpe that helps.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode