Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Small Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   Here's my initial impression of the rebuilt carb I got... (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/11665-heres-my-initial-impression-rebuilt-carb-i-got.html)

The_Sandman_454 03-03-2000 02:17 PM

Here\'s my initial impression of the rebuilt carb I got...

First of all, I got it at the local Pep Boys store (The carbuerator itself was a Rochester Varajet II that was rebuilt by Holley, came in a Holley box with all kinds of doccumentation from Holley, and the adjustments for it are even color coded, and there's a pretty good troubleshooting section and pretty detailed list of things to do (and check for) before and during installation...) I got it installed yesterday, but I used my old EFE gasket thing, and this was after I had tried to pull it up and a part of it seperated. I figured I could just keep using that. I put the carbuerator on, hooked up the appropriate connections, and it would rev up to about 3k RPMs, and then almost immediately shut down. Today I realized my mistake, and I put the gasket that Holley supplied in place of the EFE gasket plate thing (after scraping the old gasket material off the intake... I also was sure to plug the intake openings with some rags first to keep that gunk out of the engine), and tried it. It fired up, fast idle operated well, and it pulled much more vacuum than it did with the old EFE gasket. I haven't done much of a test with it yet (decided it was time for lunch, and while it was cookin' I figured I'd type out my initial report of this product...).

I'll do a follow up write up sometime later either today or this weekend sometime, after I get some time running with that carb...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

The_Sandman_454 03-05-2000 01:04 PM

Re: Here\'s my initial impression of the rebuilt carb I got...

Ok, I've been running with this carb for a couple of days now, and I must say, this rebuilt carb is very nice. I never used to have any cold weather or cold engine driveability, I'd have to wait until the engine warmed up before I drove anywhere. Now, I push the throttle all the way down to set the choke once, and it fires up and I can drive it right away. I got the unnecessary vacuum components (emissions control junk) removed and it solved some other problems, such as my vacuum actuated front differential taking a while to disengage, now it disengages immediately when I move the lever back to 2wd, and other stuff, like it always used to backfire on deceleration. With the old carbuerator, there was a huge dead spot where all it would do (I'm assuming is dump gas) and caused misfiring like crazy until I kicked it all the way down. But anyway, Just figured I'd do the followup report... I'd recommend this product to anyone who needs a rebuilt carb... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

xjy173 03-05-2000 01:21 PM

Re: Here\'s my initial impression of the rebuilt carb I got...

Thanks for the update, Tim. I might go that same route with the Rochester 2SE on my Cherokee[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]