4.3L Overcooling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.3L Overcooling

I been working on a 92 4X4 S-10 with a 4.3L engine and 5 speed manual transmission. I have encountered something I never have before. The engine will not heat up to operating temperature. I have put about 4 thermostats in it all with the same results. I am putting 195 thermostats in it and have gotten them from GM, Autozone, Napa, and Advance.The engine will reach about 160 and that is it. I have checked the coolant with an external gauge and the gauge in the truck is real close. It will however warm up on hard pulls and in the summer when the weather is warmer.It still has the stock radiator and fan. My brother bought it new and I dont remember it running that cold. All the other S-10's I have worked on ran about 190-200. I have an 89 S-10 and have always done the work myself. I dont pretend to know it all but if I can be of any help to anyone I would be glad to. Thanks for you time and any advice you might have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 12:31 PM

Re: 4.3L Overcooling

Since you went through all sorts of thermos, it sort of sounds like your cooling fan is working too hard. Is the fan clutch on the truck working?

Another possibility is the heater core in your truck may be flowing when you don't want it to? That would force the motor to cool, as you are displacing some of the hot water into the heater core...

Hope that gives you some ideas.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks JR. You can hear the fan slow down turning when the engine warms up, but I still have a suspition that may be where the problem lies. Only way I know to find out is to replace it. On the water circulating through the heater core, I think that it does that all the time doesnt it ? I have put about 4 heater cores in S-10's and they all hooked straight to the hoses and the hoses straight to the radiator and the intake. Thanks again. I appreciate the time and help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 01:39 PM

There should still be some sort of valve that goes through allowing the controls to modify it. Sort of like the way GM has the Air Conditioning running all the time (which I never quite figured out).

You're welcome!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 02:49 PM

I understood that the heat control lever on the S10s controled the flow of air either around or through the heater core but did not actually affect the flow of coolant through the core.

--Drew
83 S10 Ext Cab
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FYI, coolant constanty flows thru the heater core and cab temp is controled
with a blend door in the housing behind the dash. The A/C comes on w/ the
heater (if you have A/C) so it will blow dehumidified air on the windshield
to help prevent fogging.

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys. I was almost sure the coolant flowed through the heater core all the time. I have never found anything to control the flow in my dealings with the heater cores in the past anyway. I still am stumped on what is causing the overcooling though. If I ever figure it out I will let everyone know what it was. Thanks again guys. Your time and patience are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode