Tires for a 97 Blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tires for a 97 Blazer

After searching the archives for quite awhile, I am still not convinced which size tires to get for my 97 Blazer 4-door. I have 235/70/15's right now and they look pretty weak. I have decided to get the BFG AT KO's (I have BFG Muds on my 98 Wrangler and love them). The Blazer doesn't see too much action offroad but I don't want any rubbing at all when I do go. Will 30x9.5's fit without rubbing or having to adjust the torsion bars? If not, what is the next best size? Thanks for any help!

Matt Kirchhevel
98 Wrangler
97 Blazer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 02:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tires for a 97 Blazer

I have a 92 Blazer that I want to put that same tire on stock rims and was wondering if I would have ANY rubbing problems because I dont want any. My truck sees little off-road so no major obsticals would cause full commpression of the suspention. I was wondering if this would work.

92 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Vortec 4.3
85 S-15 Pickup 4x4 2.5 iron duke
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was looking at BFG's web site and found something interesting. The 235/75's A/T's specs say they are 29" in diameter. Mathmatically, they should be 28.88" and actual size is usually .5" less than it should be. For example the 30x9.5's say 29.5 inches. It maybe a typo, or I could be stupid and misread. If you are that worried about rubbing, stick with 235/75's. The beefier tread pattern will make it look better than those whimpy car tires the factory puts on. BTW, 235/70's work out to 27.95", actual size should be about .5" smaller. Check you OE tire's web site to see. I'm judging my recomendation off the older style which 235's don't leave a whole lot of room.
What's wrong with a little rubbing? It's just the tires way of telling you you got the right size. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Or maybe that's the reasoning that I use because I never put a tire on one of my cars that didn't rub a little.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 11:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I own a stock '96 S-10 4x4 extended cab pickup, basically the same package as the Blazer. I replaced the stock Goodyears at 19,000 miles with BF Goodrich All Terrain TA 30x9.50R15LT tires. The truck currently has 68,500 miles on it. I regularly take the truck off road, but nothing too extreme. I've never experienced rubbing, although there don't appear to be much clearance as the wheel centers appear to be toward the rear of the fender / wheel well. The tire has held up very well, I've never had a flat in nearly 50,000 miles. My driving region is rural desert/mountain with sand, snow and rocky canyons.

Great Basin
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 89 S-10 and my dad a 92 S-10. We run 30X9.50's all the time. I have ran the Grabber MT and the BFG All-Terrain. I prefer the BFG only because I thought it did a lot better in the snow. Neither truck has ever experienced any rubbing front or rear. Only rubbing I have experienced with them was when I put chains on the front and even then it was minimal. They rubbed the frame a bit when turned all the way in either direction. I dont know if the suspension is exactly the same on newer models but I would guess that it is about the same. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode