Carbuerator tuning on '85 2.8L V6 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2000, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Carbuerator tuning on \'85 2.8L V6

I was wondering if you guys could tell me the official way to tune and adjust these carbuerators... How about the setting of the idle speed? What is that spring loaded screw that is right near where the throttle linkage connects (I'll try and get a pic of it). Thanks for the info! (I have a vacuum guage by the way, and the adjustment tool thingee for that rectangular adjustment thing, and the idle mixture screw is accessable the plug thing has been drilled out apparently).

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2000, 11:58 PM

Re: Carbuerator tuning on \'85 2.8L V6

Heap bad medicine, Kemo Sabe. The Chevy gods told me to leave that Rochester 2SE in my Cherokee alone. Might be a good idea to get a rebuilt one. Good Luck, Tim![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for it? What companies have you heard of or purchased rebuilt carbs for the 2.8L V6? I don't need the emissions vacuum ports and crap like that... Also, I can live with (heck, not only live with, but prefer) a manual choke. On this engine, I want as little stuff on there to potentially screw up as possible... Also, it'd be nice to be able to have a bit of room to work on it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] So, let's hear some recommendations and/or warnings on the different places that do rebuilds of these carbs, and sell rebuilt carbs of this type...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 07:12 AM

I haven't worked up the nerve to do anything with the carb,Tim.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
There has to be a good carburetor shop near where you live. I know that they are a dying breed.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The ones that are left should be the good ones. Take it there and let them evaluate the 2SE and see what they say. Good Luck![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Tim a good place for you rochester is the trash, they work alright
on stock emmisions vehicles and ends there. Not very tunable and kinda
out of place off the asphalt. I have seen a lot of opinions thrown around
on peoples favs and it would appear that I am in the minority,but,
I've spent the better portion of 18 years tinkering with holley's on 1/4mile cars
and street racers ,very happy with there performance. They are the most tunable carb
on the market(they also have an off road kit to keep gas in the bowl)
check this out 500cfm,2bl,man choke,a/t kickdwn,50cc accel pump
http://WWW.HOLLEY.COM/HiOctn/ProdLin...C/0-4412S.html
also check out the 390cfm 4bbl(pn0-80507-1),it would require the edelbrock 2pc manifold though.
Edelbrock make a decent carb, just not as tunable.
good luck
later

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

With this small of an engine, I'm about 100% positive that 500cfm is about 50-60% too much carbuerator for this puny little engine... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I noticed it's a major PITA to adjust it... I wish I had just learned sometime to keep my hands off of the stupid thing... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I guess I'll have to try and play around with it some more... I had it running decent, but it still won't idle... I have a holley 850CFM on "Behemoth" (my 'burb) and I love the thing, it's so simple to tune it, much much easier than the Crapchester... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Do you know the part # for the edelbrock 2 pc. manifold?

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it would be over kill, I don't know where my head got stuck(ya I do)
the 2bbl/350cfm is the same just smaller bores.
Edelbrock makes two flavors:
2bbl
PERFORMER 2V
EGR top #3787
4bbl
PERFORMER 4V
NON-EGR top #3789 The base for both is #3785
ironicly they recommend a HOLLEY carb(hey don't they make
carbs, whats up with that) guess they don't go that small or somthing
sorry about get'n carried away
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.htmljust click intakes then chevy s.b.
later

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it out! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode