Lift Kits - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 11:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lift Kits

SOmeone told me that you can use hockey pucks for a lift is this true and if it is what else coulde you use instead of buying one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 11:21 PM

Re: Lift Kits

I'm not sure where, but I heard that some places sell rubber puck type things for a body lift that you can cut to custom lengths.. Not sure how well it works or anything, or even how much it costs.. Just a thought of what you might look for... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I read about someone using hockey pucks on a Wrangler because they want a 1" lift. I don't see why it wouldn't work if you are not driving on the street. Just don't try stacking them, that would be a really bad idea. By the time you buy 10 hockey pucks, 10 grade 5 bolts and all that work, why not just get a proper 3" body lift for $80?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

replacement urathane boat rollers(trailer) if you can't get them local
try the net. they cost $12-18 each and come in 18" and 22"(I think)
any way around with a band saw or hack saw you can get a bodt lift
any where from 1/2" to 18" just depends how thick you cut them, oh
and the hole is already their.
later

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Excellent idea.
You still have to figure out how to extend the steering, shifters, etc.

Anyone care to guess how high you could go?

I'm thinking I don't want to be with in 100 yards of a vehicle with an 18" body lift. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 08:29 PM

It can be done, but the chances of them slipping off and wrecking your cab etc are very great.

You're better off with something out of the box, complete with hardware and bolts and either polyurethane or rubber. Besides, they only run about $100 for the complete set!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

uuhhhh ya, 18" is a little scarry. I'm only gonna go 2" maybe 3"
Shifter extentions are no big deal 2X3/4 pipe w/ the correct
thread nut welded to one end and nut on the other.
on my toy I didn't have an extention on the steering (anyone know if you can
get away with out on a S10?)
I dunno maybe it's just me, I have a real hard time giving someone hard earned cash for
somthin I can do perfectly well myself.
I'm going to fab bumper extensions when I modify the bumpers(extend the front out
to a step bumper w/storage for chain, shackles etc...
fan shroud,no prob (electric fan)

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2000, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YA I've seen a toyota lifted with hockey pucks. Here's what you need to do. A buddy lifted 3 inches with them. He found longer bolts and a pice of really thick walled steel tube to go over the bolt as a bushing. Drilled out the pucks to accept the sleeve and bolted it all together. There a two major concerns you should know. It is probably illegal as most pucks are not DOT approved, and pucks tend to deteriorate fairly quickly under a truck. To fix this the pucks used to come in two type, Canadian, and Checz. produced. The Checz ones are a little softer, and the canadian ones are vulcanized or something like that so they wont rot as fast. They say Made In Canada on the side of them. I'd stick to them. Just keep and eye on them and be ready to replace them if needed. As for the law, it's only illegal if you get caught.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2000, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i recently put a trail master 5in-6in kit. it's a suspension kit not a body kit. i have heard that alot of body kit's rust out the cab. that's why i went to a susp. but if your tring to get more for your money then go with suspension then body. but i had some one put the kit on for me and i wasn't happy with the crappy service that they gave me and the work that they did. but i really recommend the kit to anyone putting a lift on there truck. hope the info helps you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode