New project: Seeking a bit of input... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

New project: Seeking a bit of input...

Well, since the weather this week is supposed to be warm, I figure I might as well start "Project Unplug", in which I take the intake off my parts truck, plug off all unnecessary ports (all the emissions crap), and put that intake on my good driver S15... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I should start off by saying that under the hood of my truck is a mess, with all the vacuum lines and things. I hardly have room to get in there and do any work at all on it. But the main reason for this project is the previous owner decided that they wanted to remove about 50% of the emissions system, and then leave vacuum ports unplugged, and other such things, that are causing the truck to run like a royal piece of junk... If you have a complete emissions system, you probably might as well keep it hooked up, but if you're tired of all the vacuum lines and other such crap, by all means, go right ahead and do this project too... When putting the plugs in the various places that have emissions stuff, I should use something like Nevr-seez, or a similar anti-seize product, correct? Since I never have any intentions of rehooking the emissions junk, I shouldn't really need Nevr-seez, should I? I figure I'm going to use it anyway, but was wondering about that.. Now, on the exhaust, the AIR system has to be removed. I figure I can put some black iron or whatever plugs from a plumbing supply shop if I can find the right size and thread pitch, am I right? Will I have to probably run a tap through the thread holes to get them to be the right size? What should I do for intake gaskets, they're offered as a kit from the parts store, aren't they? I'll check on that, just wondering what you guys think... How about what brand should I pick? Any good or bad experience with different makers of gaskets? For the fuel tank vent line, I think I'll just plug a metal fuel filter on there so no junk gets in there, so I can remove the cannister. How about a block off plate for the EGR valve? What should I make this item out of? I have some 1/4" plate steel lying around that's just a bit bigger than I need, but I think that'd be major overkill... I also figure that body metal is too thin or small.. Any ideas about that? I'm not going to mention much more about this project on here, but if you'd like some pictures when it's finished and a writeup of what I eliminated and how I bypassed it, and that kind of stuff, send me an email (it's in my profile), and I'll put you on the list that it gets sent to... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New project: Seeking a bit of input...

Sounds like a project, good luck with it... As for the never seiz, I dont think it's a good idea on anything having to do near the intake of the engine. If it's the gritty kind, any little bit could get into the intake/valves/bores. I've taken older mainifolds apart and have not had too much trouble, maybe just a dab of grease. 1/4" steel does not sound too thic for the EGR blockoff, altough I dont know how much power it'll gain. Good luck-John

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

PLEASE don't use grease any bolt, friction is what makes them work
grease eleminates this. On intake bolts you want to use threadlocker
by LOCKTITE (DON'T USE RED ON ANYTHING YOU WANT TO TAKE
APART AGAIN) you want to use the blue or purple. Anti-seize isn't grease
(for anyone who doesn't know)it has a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce and
powdered copper mainly it's the copper that prevents parts from seizing.
(works expecialy well on spark plug and exhaust systems)
1/4" plate will work good for the blocker plate(make sure to use a gasket)
any breather filter will work for the fuel vent, just be sure to mount it ABOVE
the high water mark.
two options on the air injector,1)take it up two ACE HARDWARE and get bolts or
2)(the cheap way)don't take it off and cut the tubes about 3/4" up from the fittings
and crimp them over twice and squeeze the crap outa them w/vice grips
AUTOZONE sells a complete intake set (around $25)as far as engine gaskets/seals go,
FELPRO can't be beat for quality. Somthing I've learned from past experience:
You never know who will have to take whatever apart next time, If ya do it right
when you do it, ya won't screw yourself next time.
HAPPY WRENCHING

HAWG WILD
<font color=red> ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE NOT NECESSARLY LOST </font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 10:58 AM

All I did to plug the AIR ports on the exhaust manifold was to remove the lines then replace them threaded pipe plugs(No antisieze). Find the closest size to the hole, tap it, then screw it in. I still have to resize the metal plate that held the AIR system control manifold and the Ignition coil. What you might do is after trimming this plate, see if the part that you cut out is large enough to fit in place of your EGR valve. If it is use it as the block off plate. The bracket in question is 1/16 to 1/8 in thick so should be up to the task.

--Drew
83 S10 Ext Cab
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode