ignitions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ignitions

Every so often, someone mentions that they have an after market ingnition system in their truck, I was wondering what are the advantages? What brands you you guys use? How hard are they to install? And lastly, how much do they cost? I was pondering the thought of perhaps a little more power while hammering the gas to keep up with traffic today. Thanks for any input

The Duke

There's somethin' women like about a pickup man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 08:27 PM

Re: ignitions

Basically the advantages are better spark throughout the power curve. Another benefit is that most of these ignition systems have better "brains" in them, and adjust spark based on actual driving conditions and not an "average" like OEM systems would be designed to do.

Check out the following:
http://www.msdignition.com
http://www.jacobselectronics.com

hope that helps.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the MSD 6 Off-Road ignition in my 97 S-10. The MSD 6 produces a very hot spark at lower rpm that lasts 20% of the crank
rotation. I noticed it gave my truck a much smoother idle.I found it a little confusing to hook up but it took around 1 hour to install.
If you have a tach you usually hook it up to the coil but the msd ignition plugs into the coil also,so the msd box has a plug in for
the tach. Then u hook the box to the coil.Acually its not as hard as it looks but trust me its well worth it!!!!!!!!The MSD 6Off-Road
ignition box was around $250 I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Zilla, did you install the box and a new coil or keep the stock coil? My truck is an '84 so I'm thinking that putting a new coil in is not a bad idea with a new ignition.

The Duke

There's somethin' women like about a pickup man
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My old man asked me about the Jacobs ignition system for his '72 402 B.B. It's mostly stock except a bigger cam and open element air filter and a new 2 1/2 exhaust in the works. The Jacobs total ignition system claims like 20 more hp and 15% better gas mileage. Ya, I tend to believe that BS like that. I was wondering if it is worth the $250 or so they were asking.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 01:02 AM

For some very interesting information on MSD products, I'd recommend checking out the short wheelbase jeep forum and look at posts made by a guy that calls himself "TeamRush"... He seems to know quite a bit about it, and has said some very interesting stuff... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a thought... I'm considering getting an MSD 6 Off road version capacitive discharge system, and the MSD blaster coil... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] That won't be for a while, but I'd like to hear opinions about the system. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the Jacobs Ultra Team (ignition, wires, coil) Milage master on my Sonoma. I have had it for about 4 months now. Simple to install the wiring but where do I put this thing 4x3.5x6 inches??? Kinda big when you got ABS, AC and all the smog crap under the hood. When I was cutting my fenders I had to take the hood off and pull the rear part of the fender out. Thats when I finaly found a place to mount it. Total price i think was $375. MY opinion, well mixed. I do get a moderate seat-o-the-pants boost in power an any RPM. When you mash the go pedal it really moves (very noticeable). I once got about 23%(45 miles) more milage on a tank long open driving. City driving took away about 10% (20 miles). So it does whats advertised just not all at once. When I bought this I did the numbers and figured it should pay for itself in two years from gas savings. Unless you commute long miles every day, don't count on gas savings. I think the unit is good for open driving and a performance upgrade but if your looking for saving money while city driving, look elsewhere. If you want more info on this get Jacobs ignition book. Excellent tips and ideas told to you in a way evin I could understand. Talks about timing, NOS, electrical, and the entire ignition system. Evin if you get the MSD or whom ever, his book is informative reading.

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:08 PM

It would be really cool if we could get the parts for testing and get someone with a dyno to measure the differences between stock and "enhanced".

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yea, would have been really cool. But im too damn impatient when there is a big K&N box and a big blue Jacobs box that the Brown Santa just left. Hmmm, do I go down to my buddies shop (30 min) and try and talk (1 hr.) him into tying my truck down (15 min) for the day on his dyno. Then test run, configure, test run then real run (30 min im done at home). Now I finaly get to install parts. I would love to have gotten all my upgrades dynoed. Oh BTW here might be an easier way of doing this:
http://www.gtechpro.com/
Saw a comercial afew months back. Wonder how well it works?? Good price...

-Troy 'WeaZle' McCarty

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The gtech looks pretty cool, I just doubt the accuracy of a $140 accelerometer. There are some pretty wild ones out there that meausure damping and harmonic frequencys all kinda of other stuff I never heard of that will cost you $10,000. A plain old one will still cost a couple hundred. Besides that it would have to be perfectly level and vibration free to get a good reading. I don't think a suction cup to the windshield hauling ass down the road is going to cut it. All that aside, I think it would give you a pretty good idea of what your vehicle is capable to doing. I just doubt the accuracy they claim.
A little more accurate than "I smoked a guy that beat a guy whose car can do the quarter in 14 seconds" Anybody else heard some dumb ass say that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode