tranny help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tranny help

OK folks lets see if some of you master mechanics can help me out. Is there a way to relocate the shifter position of a manual tranny? Here is my dilema, I am slapping an LT1 with a BW six speed in my S-10, and the damned shifter on the 6 speed is like a foot furter back than the stock hole in my floor for my current 5 speed shifter. Soooooo is there a way to move the shifter forwars? Some sort of linkage or something? Do they make kits to do this? I really need some help here.
Thanks,
Justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 11:14 PM

Re: tranny help

Sounds like you just need to cut a new hole to make the new tranny fit...

I would check out Advance Adapters and see if they have a kit to fix the linkage so you don't have to necessarily cut.

Hope that helps.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 11:33 PM

I would say, carefully cut out the necessary amount of metal that you need out of the tranny hump, then turn it around, and weld it back in, this should get you the hole in the place you're going to need it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I don't know off hand of any kits to do it... Why an LT1 and 6 speed? Is this a 4x4 truck? or no? Will it be used on road or off road? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 01:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

is it a problem just to cut a new hole in the floor of the truck? just cut a hole and make it work!!

92 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Vortec 4.3
85 S-15 Pickup 4x4 2.5 iron duke
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 05:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool, thanks for the input guys.
I figured I would have to cut a new hole, but I was hoping that there was some sort of linkage out there that would prevent that. The new hole will be right at the base of my bench seat. And no this isnt a 4x4, I just figured that yall would be the best guys to ask, since some of yall do crazy stuff like put 2 trannys on and stuff. Anyhow don't go thinking that this goining to be a lowered truck either, I hate that crap. Its just gonna be a stock heigth S-10. My damned 4 cyl is about to blow, and I just decided to replace it with some real power. Although, after I get this project done, I will start on a 350 jeep 4x4.
thanks again,

Justin

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:06 PM

Hey, if you can take some photos of the process and post them here we'd sure appreciate it!!!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]- <font color=purple>J.R.</font color=purple> -[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:22 PM

This will make a great addition to the Chevy page for S10 stuff... If you'd do a writeup and take plenty of pics, and send it to the editor of the Chevy Page... I'm sure he'd be more than glad to put some S10 stuff up there... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd be happy to do so. I'm glad that everyone is interested and has been helpful. I will keep yall informed. I should be getting the engine and tranny in about 2-3 weeks, and then as I find time I will start the work.
thanks again,

Justin

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I the shifter is going to end up at the base of your bench seat, I would think that is where you would want it for quick shifts instead of that big old 3 foot long shifter. I would recommend getting rid of that bench seat and getting some buckets, that way you have room for the shifter and is much more comfortable. Scout out the junk yards I'm sure you will find something to your likeing that are cheap. You could always put in S-10 buckets, they are rather comfortable but don't offer much lateral support though I doubt you are building your truck for handleing.
Anther idea if you want the shifter farther forward is to rotate the shift lever 180 degrees so it bends forward. At least that is what Carroll Shelby did in the 427 Cobra.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode